AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local library has about 50 video games you can borrow just like books! Why rent them when you can get a lot for free?!?! This was like discovering a $20 bill under the couch, I love it! Did anyone else know this???

Just like books, if they don't have the title you want, they may be able to order thru their network. Nice!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well first off, my library in Cincinnati is going to be different than yours, but this seems to be a common thing. My local one only has PS2, 360 and Wii games, but I'm going to call and ask about PS3. They didn't have just "family stuff" surprisingly. They had Gears of War and Halo 3...Force Unleashed too, to name a couple. I'm going to call them tomorrow since they are closed for the holiday today.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/15430028

Well first off, my library in Cincinnati is going to be different than yours, but this seems to be a common thing. My local one only has PS2, 360 and Wii games, but I'm going to call and ask about PS3. They didn't have just "family stuff" surprisingly. They had Gears of War and Halo 3...Force Unleashed too, to name a couple. I'm going to call them tomorrow since they are closed for the holiday today.

Here in Milwaukee I know there is a selection of DVD movies and audio CD's that they've been accumulating for years but I havent been through that section of any of the libraries in years. The big central downtown library also offers free internet access to city residents, a small coffee shop, a storefront where you can purchase used books & volumes, etc.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasyn /forum/post/15430741

Sweet! Now that's tax dollars at work.

Sadly that's true...and I bet they're buying them new at retail. So...think about it...these aren't "free." We're all buying them, but instead of directly and voluntarily, it's done through the invisible black hand of government taxation. It's one thing if the funds go toward promoting educational and enriching literature, but video games? (I have the same problem, to a lesser degree, with libraries stocking movies).

What's the point in a library if it's promoting a form of entertainment that's killing the institution's original purpose (READING BOOKS)???

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Fortunately, many generous people donate items to the library. It is possible that the games have been donated.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/15432463

Sadly that's true...and I bet they're buying them new at retail. So...think about it...these aren't "free." We're all buying them, but instead of directly and voluntarily, it's done through the invisible black hand of government taxation. It's one thing if the funds go toward promoting educational and enriching literature, but video games? (I have the same problem, to a lesser degree, with libraries stocking movies).

What's the point in a library if it's promoting a form of entertainment that's killing the institution's original purpose (READING BOOKS)???

Reading books for what purpose ? Libraries are repositories of knowledge or information, books are one way of delivering knowledge and information.

As long as Nancy Drew and Harry Potter are considered knowledge and information, I can understand libraries carrying other forms such as movies. Granted, games may be pushing the boundaries a bit, but not because its killing books.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/15430028

Is this the once across from Garfield suites around vine?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj /forum/post/15435905

Another reason libraries should be closed down, a waste of tax money. It's cheaper for us all to buy books an games than to have a library.

hmmmm??

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/15432463

The problem is that nobody goes to the library anymore to read books. I go to the library constantly (I have regular exams). I probably take out 2-3 books a month. Problem is, whenever I go all the teenagers are just goofing off and surfing MySpace. Libraries probably figure that loaning out games can be a sort of "trojan horse" that will get kids to the library, where they will then realize they can take out other, more intellectually stimulating forms of media. I am not quite sure of the merits of that either way but its worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj /forum/post/0

Another reason libraries should be closed down, a waste of tax money. It's cheaper for us all to buy books an games than to have a library.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.