AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm a little disgruntled. They are offering us free HBO and Cinemax for the weekend. Now my parents are watching it. My dad is now watching Harry Potter? IN FULLSCREEN!!! What can I do to keep the infomation SECRET about this free crap? I see the email in directv and try to delete it IMMEDIATLY, but, they still find out. "Hey! Free HBO!" I'm like, "Yeah, big *bleep*ing deal!" I've have never seen ONE movie on ANY of those stations in OAR. Then my mom was saying it would by nice to have those movie channels again. I almost puked. Well, we need to contact these movie stations and let them know WE WANT OAR!! Not half OAR, 2.35:1 movie reformatted for 1.85:1, or FULLSCREEN! WE WANT OAR!!!! And I'm sick and tired of these movie channels, which a lot of people think they are so great, showing movies in a crappy modified version. So, people, please, let HBO and Cinemax KNOW we don't WANT this modified crap. We want the movies to be shown the way they are MEANT to be seen, and not the way they should fit our TV. Ok, done venting...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Majority of people subscribing to HBO/Max don't realize what OAR is, and that widescreen is superior. You now how much hate mail Time Warner would get from people complaining about those 'annoying back bars' showing up during their favorite movies. Plus a lot of subs only go with HBO for the original programming and Max is a great complement for HBO, on digital cable that is.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If people don't like the black bars, that's tough poo. Those channels should also demonstrate and educate everybody. It shouldn't be up to the people what they wanna see. It's up to the director. Whatever was the ORIGINAL director's view is what I should be seeing. Oh well. HBO sucks. Cinemax sucks. So does Starz. I'm sticking with TCM, FMC, and IFC and DVD. All commercial free with no censoring of anything.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
It shouldn't be up to the people what they wanna see.
But it's what the people wanna see that roles in the $$$ for Time Warmer, Viacom and Encore Networks.

I agree with you, widescreen is superior to panscan, this is coming from someone who watches all programming from a 32" analog 4:3 tube TV. But unfortunately, the majority of the TV viewing American people who also have xx" analog 4:3 tube TV's do not feel the same way. It all comes down to 1) Knowledge 2) Personal Preference and 3) $$$.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What I hate most about this free HBO weekend is that they took away my DD!!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll stick with TCM, FMC, IFC, and my DVDs for now. Not gonna waste my money on crap that can't do anything right.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, thank god, it's OVER!!! My eyes have been violated too. Last night, I was looking through HBO to see if I could find any letterbox. Then, the damn "Searching For Guide, Please Stand By" message appeared at the bottom of the screen, making it impossible to do anything until it got done. And there was a Pan and Scan movie on the TV. Only thing I could do is CLOSE MY EYES. I'm not kidding either. I consider OAR a religion, and if I watch Pan and Scan, I'll go to hell. I closed my eyes until I was able to get back to the guide. My eyes have been violated enough with that crap.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The thing that puzzles me about HBO is that programming made for HBO is often letterbox. Band of Brothers, Sopranos, and others are shown letterbox. If HBO understands their programming is best when offered in original aspect ratios why can't they get the rest of it right also. Also with all of the different HBO channels, HBO Comedy, HBO Signature, etc, why not an HBO Correct with all original aspect ratio when possible. Showtime has Apocalypse Now and a few others in letterbox. I have a TiVo wish list setup for Letterbox and it finds a good number of movies. It is getting better but still has a long way to go. TCM is the absolute best with many films shown in original aspect ratio.

Chris

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Go here to find out what is being shown in letterbox. I never checked to see if they were OAR or not, but they do show the aspect ratio being presented.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My two cents:

(Assuming you have D*) Remove those channels entirely from your system by deleting them (of course, they still show up in the All Channels).

Next, Block those channels by password.

Finally, lie through your teeth and maintain that you are somehow ineligable for free previews due to some bogus technical point. Like you would have to install an additional dish & multi switch to get them (which is only partly a lie on E*).

OTOH, this procedure has zero change on E* because they feel the need to actually add new channel numbers when they have the previews, in addition to having the programming on their actual channel numbers. They apparently are wise to my trick. :-D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, since I'm the guru of the house and the one who hooked it all up. When they get a password trying to access HBO, I'm SOON gonna hear this "KC!?!?!?, the name I go by, WTF is wrong with this thing?" I'll just do my best to keep it secret. Think we had something free before and they didn't know about it. So, for now on, I'll do the best I can to keep it secret. The only thing I can do is just delete the emails we get in Directv.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I see your point. But even deleting the channels from the guide might be helpful. You could maintain that since you don't sub to them channels, they are just clutter.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have it set up as Favorite A, Fav B, Fav C, and D for all the crappy movie channels. I use A. My dad uses B and my brother uses C. My mom uses either A or B. She don't really care. If I wanna see if there's any good letterbox movies on PPV, I put it on ALL CHANNELS to see. I just wish everything would be OAR. I also wish VHS would be OAR too. I know, it sucks. But, what if there's a movie you really wanna see and it's not on DVD?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Every now & then, TCM runs a 5 minute spot on Letterboxing. They explain why there are black bars and zoom in and out showing how much picture information is lost. This should become a mandatory Public Informatin spot on every channel so J6P can become educated on this issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.