AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sure will help to bring people into the store.

The local Visions store has a HDA2 connected to a Toshiba 62" 1080 DLP located near the front of the store, it's the first thing you see when you walk in.

The salesman I deal with said he gave up trying to sell the BD units...to expensive.

They all seem to believe HD-DVD will be the format of choice.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm seriously considering this deal, actually. Sale starts tomorrow. Just curious if I'll be disappointed with the TV (I've read about problems with black levels). Someone, PLEASE, convince me to get it!!

fyi,

tv's model number is 42HL196.

Robert, as a licensed Toshiba dealer, how do you / your customers feel about that particular TV? Have you had complaints? Any input that will push me to buy this set would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/0

The TV with the included HD-DVD player is a good deal.... but don't count on Toshiba sending you any free DVD's

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776263

He probably would get the 3 free movies, because so far only Canadians have actually recieved them.

That is a HECK of a deal, though!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The three free HDDVD titles are the mail in rebate.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacasaca /forum/post/0

The salesman I deal with said he gave up trying to sell the BD units...to expensive.

They all seem to believe HD-DVD will be the format of choice.

I think we're going to see more and more salespeople pushing HD DVD because IT IS POSSIBLE TO SELL THEM! There's a lot of price resistance to BD and for good reason. The PS3 may be a good BD player, but it doesn't upconvert and most middle aged people (who can afford a standalone from either format) want a standalone, not a gaming console. BD has basically put all their eggs in the PS3 basket.

The nice thing for HD DVD is that with its pricing it is possible to "throw" one in with the sale of a big ticket item.

This is good new for Blu-Ray.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
686 Posts
So, I went to my local visions and picked up this TV + HD DVD Combo. The TV looked great in the store (as they all do... to an extent), and it looked great in my living room. But, as soon as I turned the lights off.... muddy blacks. ugh. I played with all the settings, even turning the back light off, and still, it looked horrible. I returned it today and got the 56" 1080p Samsung. It's being delivered tomorrow. yay!

Also, interestingly enough, they had an HD-XA2 in stock. I wanted it, and almost bought it, then the guy realized that it wasn't showing up as in stock in their system, AND it was actually a customer special order. So I let it go. Maybe next time...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/0

hancox, so why not do so? The actual promotion starts Sunday.

-Robert

Here in the USA as well?

By the way Robert, you can add this to your HD DVD player ads:

Toshiba HD-XA1 Has just been awarded Sound & Vision Product of the Year Award for 2006!

We are discussing it in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795101

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.