AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we discussed awhile back, netflix.com is a great place to rent DVDs on the internet.

I just got an email saying I could give up to 5 "friends and family" a free trial of the service (I think it's a 1 month deal - $22 value).

The first 5 people who post here with their email address I'll enter. I get nothing out of this as far as I know, just trying to pass on a good deal on what I consider a great service. I love netflix and strongly recommend them to anyone.

Regards, and sorry for the slightly off-topic posting for this forum, but I don't read any of the other ones with any regularity.

Again, I am not compensated for this, just passing along a good deal.

I know there are many other netflix users on this forum, and I'm sure some of them will pitch in if more than 5 people respond to this thread.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was thinking about signing up, but a free month would sure help my decision making process ;-) Let's see here, I'll just use a new e-mail address for this - [email protected] (owning your own domain is handy!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by luvmytivo:
I'll just use a new e-mail address for this - [email protected] (owning your own domain is handy!).

Thanks!
i use the same trick! using unique / one-off email addresses this way, we have proof of who sells our email addresses to spammers!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm amazed to hear that you had such a problem. I've never had any problems seeing new releases, though I must admit I've got around 120 movies in my queue and I usually have no idea what I'm going to get until it arrives at the door. Works well for me because a movie is always "new" to me until I've seen it.

If you HAVE to get a new release the first week it's out, you might do better at the local rental place. But not having to EVER drive back at midnight in order to avoid those late charges is enough for me to put up with an occassional wait.

Keep in mind that the way netflix works is that if the movie at the top of your queue is not available, they ship you the next one, so you never get screwed over waiting. Then again, I don't think you can say "wait for this one until it comes in" either - like I said, I never really care much about what is coming. If it's THAT great of a movie, I just buy it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway, i hope I'm not too much of a netflix cheerleader, but living in a small town it's a lifesaver to get movies that the local stores would never get on DVD, and believe it or not, I've had far more problems with damaged/scratched DVDs from local use than from netflix (1 damaged disk in probably at least 200 movies watched).

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm a Netflix cheerleader. Great service, in my opinion. Of course, I'm also a habitual late return fee person when it comes to traditional rental stores.

I've had no trouble getting new releases. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon should be in my mailbox by the time I get home. I'm still getting the hang of what "long wait" means. Because everything I've had in my queue that says "long wait" has never been a long wait to receive.

--Les

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
I just discontinued my Netflix membership because it finally got so bad that I had seven choices on "long wait". New releases just aren't available so the only thing you can get in any reasonable amount of time is a title no one els wants.

Sorry to rain on the parade.

Jack

·
Registered
453 Posts
Some of us benefit from Netflix in other ways. Recently, I scooped up 10 used Netflix movies for just over $10 apiece, including shipping, at Half.com (titles like The Sixth Sense, The Green Mile, The Bone Collector, Jaws, and Antz). The slight scratches did not affect performance a bit. My source for this sale was dvdpricesearch.

Al

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've had great luck, too. Even movies that are supposed to have a "Long wait" seem to be available when they reach to top of my queue of 400+ movies.

If anyone would like a free month, let me know. I'll be happy to send you the "invitation" for a free month.

[email protected]

(I agree about the convenience of owning your own domain.)

--Burke

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've sent 6 now and it is not cutting me off. So I guess the "5" limit is not enforced (not surprising).

Anyone else wants, I'll sign ya up. Either email me privately or post here. Regards.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.