AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to control 6 or 7 components from my HTPC, via RS232. I'm writing code to do it, but I need a terminal emulator to play with things. Terminal emulators are pretty trivial programs, so I assumed that I could find a quick and dirty free download. There are plenty, but none that will go higher than COM4, and I need one that will go up to COM8. The cheapest one I can find is $100 (!). Anyone know of any free downloadable terminal emulators out there, that can go up to com8?

TIA.

- Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hypertem in windows/accossarys. When codeing this will normaly do the trick for me. When I get serious I use Procomm Plus It's old and its a little pricy but it's all you will ever need.

If you are useing VB, I just wrote my own quick to do some basic testing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
NetTerm, I think you might be able to find a free copy online somewhere. Make sure you look for NetTerm and not secure netterm

·
Registered
409 Posts
Teraterm Pro.... free and quite full featured.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Some microsoft OS's also come with the original "TERM" application. I think you have to run it in the command box.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone. Hyperterm isn't an option - it doesn't go past COM4. I'll look into NetTerm and KoalaTerm. If they don't work out, I may bug you for your VB program, Comstar!

- Dave

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. NetTerm can go up to COM8, but wants to talk to a modem. Doesn't support direct serial connections. And, KoalaTerm supports direct serial connections, but doesn't go to COM8. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

- Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.