AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a lot of discussion on RG6 over the years and the general consensus is that you're probably better off buying a better quality cable (such as Belden 1694A) from Monoprice or Blue Jeans than putting in your own cheaper stuff from one of the big boy home improvement stores.

However, my company has thousands of feet of quad shield RG6 that I can get a few hundered feet for free. It's not solid copper core (copper coated steel) and it has an aluminum braid vs a tinned copper. (It's Belden 3092A which is used by Rockwell Automation and others for ControlNet communications). I think it's every bit as good as anything you'll buy at HD and possibly better, but it's not 1694A.

I'd still have to buy connectors and a quality crimper. I'm not loaded with money but I am frugal. None of the runs would be more than 50ft and would not be parallel to 120V.

Questions:

1. Would you consider using the free RG6? Perhaps only for audio and not video? What about subwoofer?

2. Even with the free cable, is it worth the expense, time and hassle of buying a crimper/connectors and making your own cables. (I realize there is a benefit to making custom length cables so the wiring to your rack looks good, but if I bought from Monoprioce, I probably get them made in standard lengths with connectors).

3. I know you can use RG6 for L/C/R and surround speaker wire, but is there a benefit of using 18AWG RG6 over the standard 12 or 14 AWG CL2 rated speaker wire from Monoprice?

I'm not trying to re-hash discussions from the past. I guess I'm just trying to decide between the following options:

1. Make my own cables with customized lengths using the free RG6.

- Cheaper (plus)

- Custom Length (plus)

- Inferior cable ?? (minus)

- Hassle (minus-but I don't mind too much)

2. Buy standard length cables from our AVS sponsors.

I'll probably end up doing some of both, but would like some more insight from those who have more experince than I.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to try. If you are running composite video, you won't see a difference. You'll have a larger loss if you start getting up to the higher resolutions of component video (720p and up). In any case, you may end up with a close to free cable. If not, you can just purchase some 1694A in bulk and make some more.

CJ

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
To keep your costs down you can use Paladin dies and crimp handles along with other less expensive multi-cut adjustable stippers. Just read up on the crimp dimensions you need to match your connector to your cable. Other options are Parts Express handles/dies along with their good quality connectors (a step down from Canare, but more than acceptable). When cables were still analog I built a fair number of Canare/Canare, Canare/Belden, Canare/scrap-RG6, and Canare/scrap-RG59 cables and all turned out extremely well... even those using scrap RG6/RG59. I once tried my hand at some solder-type connectors and they worked fine, but I didn't have much faith in their tension relief or overall longevity if plugged/unplugged regularly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I really would like to have custom length cables by making them myself, but I don't want to screw myself if I decide to rearrange my rack. I guess I could coil up some extra cable before it reaches the rack. Since I have flex conduit pulled to all my locations, I'm probably being paranoid anyway. I can just pull some new cable if I'm not satisfied. I share the opinon of many that monster cable is over-rated. I'm not so sure of the various grades of RG6.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Biggie. I wasn't real comfortable using RG6 for speakers except perhaps subwoofer. I appreciate everyone's advice on this forum but you seem to respond to almost any question (I hope you have a life outside of this). BTW, I grew up in Springfield, VA and I notice a lot of NOVA enthusiasts here. Almost wish I was back so I could see y'alls work. (I'm in the south now so I have to use the word y'all. When I moved to GA, everyone called me a yankee. Those dumb ******** didn't even know the capital of the south was Richmond, VA. (No offense southerners... my kids are born will be raised down here)).

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast67 /forum/post/15534839

I know there's been a lot of discussion on RG6 over the years and the general consensus is that you're probably better off buying a better quality cable (such as Belden 1694A) from Monoprice or Blue Jeans than putting in your own cheaper stuff from one of the big boy home improvement stores.

However, my company has thousands of feet of quad shield RG6 that I can get a few hundered feet for free. It's not solid copper core (copper coated steel) and it has an aluminum braid vs a tinned copper. (It's Belden 3092A which is used by Rockwell Automation and others for ControlNet communications). I think it's every bit as good as anything you'll buy at HD and possibly better, but it's not 1694A.

I'd still have to buy connectors and a quality crimper. I'm not loaded with money but I am frugal. None of the runs would be more than 50ft and would not be parallel to 120V.

Questions:

1. Would you consider using the free RG6? Perhaps only for audio and not video? What about subwoofer?

For other people? Sure.

For myself? Never. Copper-clad steel is task-specific for high frequency use, which is why it's great for tv broadcast etc. It is not ideal for low frequencies (analog audio, baseband video)compared with solid copper because you're looking at the resistance of the steel rather than copper, unlike the (only)high frequencies of cable broadcast which ride only on the skin of the conductor, thus the need only to have copper clad, rather than solid copper.

That's why broadcast video coax, like 1694a, is always all copper.

Yes it will work for video, yes it will work for audio, but I am particular about my own personal system and would not pull that and use it because I don't half-ass my own system.

Quote:
2. Even with the free cable, is it worth the expense, time and hassle of buying a crimper/connectors and making your own cables. (I realize there is a benefit to making custom length cables so the wiring to your rack looks good, but if I bought from Monoprioce, I probably get them made in standard lengths with connectors).

IMO if you have more than just a few cables that you need, it's worth the expense to buy the tools. IMO it's nice to have the tools for the future as well.

Quote:
3. I know you can use RG6 for L/C/R and surround speaker wire, but is there a benefit of using 18AWG RG6 over the standard 12 or 14 AWG CL2 rated speaker wire from Monoprice?

No. Use speaker wire. Working with coax for this is stupid, and sucks. You want high gauge wire for distance, coax isn't really that high gauge, and again the resistance of the steel which is really what your conductor is, makes this worse than 18-gauge speaker wire, which as it is has significant resistance over distance.

Quote:
I'm not trying to re-hash discussions from the past. I guess I'm just trying to decide between the following options:

1. Make my own cables with customized lengths using the free RG6.

- Cheaper (plus)

- Custom Length (plus)

- Inferior cable ?? (minus)

- Hassle (minus-but I don't mind too much)

2. Buy standard length cables from our AVS sponsors.

I vote option three which is make your own custom cables but don't use the free RG6 you're talking about except for cable or satellite feeds which is what it's for and is appropriate for.

That all being said, free is free. If you're not going super far, and you're not anal retentive about broadcast quality performance, option 1 really should work fine. It just isn't ideal. What it is though, is cheap. That may be a big motivation for you particularly in this economy.

Quote:
I'll probably end up doing some of both, but would like some more insight from those who have more experince than I.

Thanks.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
i realize i used the term broadcast in multiple ways in both sides, I hope it makes sense. studio-broadcast quality Video/audio(solid copper coax) as opposed to modulated broadcast signals cable/sat/antenna TV use (copper clad steel).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Chris.

I noticed the resistance was higher on my free RG6. However, the attenuation ratings were comparable, but they were all for the higher frequencies as you mentioned. I couldn't find ratings below 1 Mhz. I hadn't considered the modulated frequencies satellite uses. Wasn't sure if there was really a noticaeble difference. But if I'm spending several grand building a theater, why risk a few hundred dollars on one of the most important aspects: video and sound.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast67 /forum/post/15549812

but you seem to respond to almost any question (I hope you have a life outside of this).

It's kind of like batting practice. It makes it easier to hit the long ones.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Somewhqt off-topic reply to...

Quote:
(I'm in the south now so I have to use the word y'all. When I moved to GA, everyone called me a yankee. Those dumb ******** didn't even know the capital of the south was Richmond, VA. (No offense southerners... my kids are born will be raised down here)

I grew up in South Jersey (within spittin' distance of the Mason-Dixin line -try telling that to a "Southener"). I went to college in Winchester, VA, and every one there called me a Yank, because I was "in the South now, boy." And for some reason they thought "you guys" was funny but "y'all" wasn't. I NEVER said "youse guys"....that would be NORTH Joisey. Then I moved to Northern Virginia.

Anyway, a number of years later I spent some time in Nashville on a contract, and I would tell people I was from "Washington." Invariably the answer was "State?" I'd say "No, DC." Then they would say, "Oh. Up there."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've heard that also. Then there are those who have no idea where DC is. While I've now lived in Atlanta more than half my life, I still havn't converted my pro sports allegiances. Redskins, Orioles, Wizards (they're still the Bullets to me), and the Capitals. However with the way they've performed over the last decade (outside of the Caps, who generally sucked but now are decent), it's become increasingly difficult.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts