AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Sony VPH-1271Q projector several months ago. It was not being used at the time, and just looking at it I thought it was junk, but I couldn't bring myself to throw away something that big that said "Sony" on it. I have plugged it in for a few minutes just to see if it works, and it does, but that's about it. I decided to start doing some research and low and behold there are lots of people in this forum using it as an HD home theater unit!

So my question is, what do you do with a 1271Q with pretty much zero budget? I see people spending all sorts of money to make these things acceptable video outputs (screens, line doublers, converters, etc.) but that's money I don't have right now (blew it on my 36" Sony HD WEGA). Can I just plug a standard DTV reciever in to the S-Video input, hang up a big white bed sheet, and watch that way for now? Any other suggestions on what to do with this monster or how to tell what kind of shape it's in?

TIA,

Clerick

·
Registered
84 Posts
Simply, yes you can. You wont be getting anywhere near the picture quality that you could get but it will still be watchable. The 1271 is a VERY good machine think yourself lucky to have one. All you have to do is learn how to converge it and your set. in the future you will be able to have a 100" HD picture as these projectors will do HD easily.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you happen to already have a PC (since you are posting on this forum you most likely do) you can use that as a cheap alternative to an outboard scaler and set top dvd player (if you pc can play back dvd's, that is.)

Start by reading this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=31225

A lot of us use PC's to drive our projectors with dvd and HD signals with fantastic results.

Also - on the bed sheet - if you have a white wall that might actually work better - at least the wall won't have wrinkles... :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
look in the screen forum, their are at least 3 good screens that cost under 50 bucks, that people just love.

1 - Bear Ultra White Paint

2 - Parkland screen

3 - Blackout cloth

A home theater PC can be built for around $500, or you can modify your own PC for cheap. A good ATI Video card can be had for around $50 (the 7000 or 7200) and I see Internal DVD players for computers for $30buck after rebate on a regular basis. May not get you all the way there, but close.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a techie by trade, and I have a fairly robust PC in the same room as the projector. However, it doesn't currently have a DVD drive (my laptop does, but experiments using it to output to my WEGA looked pretty bad, I think it's the lame video card in the laptop). I am also a gamer, so my video card is a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 which is more for 3D games than multimedia. Do the ATI cards have better video output? I wouldn't mind a second video card so that i could do dual monitors.

I also have some sort of converter that was with the projector, it's got what looks like a VGA input on one side and then multiple BNC outputs on the other. I also have the multi-BNC cable that can run from the converter to the projector. However, the converter appears to require a power adapter that I do not have. There are no power requirements written on the adapter. Anyone know what it needs?

How can I find out how many hours the projector has on it?

TIA,

Clerick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you using the VGA to 5 BNC Cable to connect either Computer to the Sony 1271? If you aren't, then you should be. Your not just using the S-Video or Composite out from either computer are you? You shouldn't be if you want to best possible picture.

Mark

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clerick
... So my question is, what do you do with a 1271Q with pretty much zero budget?
Get a budget.

The 1271Q will smoke your WEGA and then some if fed properly (i.e. get a breakout cable or Extron box and DB15 VGA to 4BNC RGBS snake and hook you computer up to it).

·
Registered
Marantz ¦ Arendal ¦ JVC
183 Posts
Clerick,

You can pick up a VGA to 5 BNC cable at most computer stores. Then you won't need the box for which you have no power - sounds like some sort of cable converter which you don't want in your signal path anyway.

As someone else says, if it's viable and you have the space, sell your Wega and invest in a screen and some decent speakers.

I've had a 1271 for about 9 months now and love it (see what I've done with mine by following through the link below to my site).

Enjoy

Peter

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You can spend very little ($50) on a decent ATI built Radeon 7200 video card, and another $40 tops on a tuner card. You can feed any ntsc source to the tuner card and use the free program dscaler (search the htpc forum) to de-interlace and scale the source to any resolution you want.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So many helpful folks! This is way better than the Mustang forum I'm on.. ;)

I don't know if it's an Extron box, but I can check later. It has a VGA input on one side and then R, G, B, and Sync BNC connnectors on the other. I will see if I can find one of those cables that meep mentioned this weekend and report back on the results. I'll hit Pricewatch for a Radeon, DVD drive, and tuner card (any particular model?). dScaler sounds very cool.

I don't think I will sell my WEGA for two reasons: 1, if the 1271 breaks it might be prohibitively expensive to fix and then I'd have no TV at all and 2, I really like it. It is currently hooked to an older Denon amp and four Mirage FRx series speakers with an FRx center and sub. I'm happy with all of that. If the projector turns out as good as you are all making it sound, I will move the audio portion of the HT to the projector and just use the WEGA for watching "normal" TV.

A friend has a 1272 set up and I am going to go check it out on Sunday. He says I'm going to wet my pants when I see it. While I hope that doesn't happen, I will be very interested to see his setup.

·
Registered
Marantz ¦ Arendal ¦ JVC
183 Posts
Clerick,

You should check out the HTPC forums for details on what you need to set up your PC.

Regarding the TV card, be sure it's based around the Brooktree chipset (BTxxxx). Last time I checked, dScaler was picky about the TV Tuner chipsets it would work with.

(Connexant also springs to mind, but I think they might be manufacturers of BT chips or something). Lots of people use the WinTV range which work well.

Be aware you're getting into something which will take over your life!

Peter

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would not purchase the VGA to 5 BNC cable until you figure out what box it is. If it is an Extron some people have had great success with it. (originally they cost $500 to $2000 depending on the model) they go for cheap now used on e-bay. You may also have some issues regarding hooking the box to your video card, but one step at a time.

Extron boxes amplify the signal for long cable runs. Most video cards only put out enough for a 6 foot run. however, some people believe the "noise" the box creates in not Worth its benefits.

If you like the box that you have, then you can purchase a BNC to BNC cable. this will give you more flexibility in the future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the BNC to BNC cable, but I don't have a power supply for the mystery box. Did a quick search on Ebay and I'm pretty sure it's not an Extron box. It is small, about 4" by 6" and the same color as the 1271.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also, why buy a new cheap Radeon graphics card if you already have a Geforce 4400... unless you really need two graphics cards that sounds unneccesary.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Okay, then you can just purchase the VGA to 5BNC cable.

We have a lot of people in Atlanta that are into this hobby. Actually one of the big wigs for CRTs lives in Alpharetta. He does calibration and set up but that may cost you more then you want to pay (I think around $400 bucks, but it depends on the machine).

He also sells high quality VGA to 5BNC cables. He lives in one of those subdivisions that have thousands of homes, so who knows maybe you are neighbors.

You can search for his posts under Chuchuf

I live in Sandy springs, and would say I am still in the learning phase of this. Have only been running it for under half a year.

also check out

http://atlanta.hometheatergroup.tv/forum/

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clerick
I have the BNC to BNC cable, but I don't have a power supply for the mystery box. Did a quick search on Ebay and I'm pretty sure it's not an Extron box. It is small, about 4" by 6" and the same color as the 1271.
I guess it isn't an IFU-1271, since that has a standard AC cord plug on it. Are there any brand or model markings anywhere on the box? Everybody here has seen alot of stuff searching for this or that doodad. Maybe you could post a photo.

SC

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Excellent suggestions. I plan to spend much of this weekend contemplating this whole situation, and I will see what else I can figure out about the mystery box. Stay tuned...

P.S. As a newbie, VERY grateful for the enthusiasm and feedback. Those are the hallmarks of people who love their hobby (like I need another expensive hobby, let's see, guitars, cars, computers, home theater, now a CRT!!). Thank you.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
When you are working with your PC this weekend, do not forget to think about how you are going to get the sound to your sound system or if you are just going to use PC speakers for now. This will depend on you current sound system plans.

All kinds of options, you can search the HTPC forum for this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got home and took a harder look at what I have. I now have some concerns (as a friend said, I think I have a solution looking for a problem). First of all, the "mystery box" is an Inline 2000 Analog/Digital Video Interface. I can't find an instance of this anywhere on this forum, Ebay, or Google. The odds of me finding a power supply for it are pretty much zero. However, now I can just try some different power supplies and if I blow it up, who cares? (I'm going for the glass is half full thing here) Pictures can be found here:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/_/c_jack/pictures/

My biggest concern is on the 1271 itself. I don't have any RGB, coax inputs. That whole section, as I see it in the owner's manual that I downloaded, is covered by a blank plate. As far as video inputs go, I seem to only have a single BNC connector and an S-Video connector. Am I going to need some other module to run high res video to this unit?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.