Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DILARD 2.1 AVAILABILITYc>

Dilard 2.1 is now available. It is definitely my favorite release yet. The two new Wizards have already proven to be the most useful of the bunch (for me, anyway).

The 2.1 update primarily adds:
  • The Back Up Wizard (with HTML reporting)
  • The Eight Bar Wizard
  • Small enhancements to all of the existing Wizards, including a "Before You Begin" checklist.

Just to keep everyone updated on the progress, here is where the product is, in relation to the "vision" painted when development began.

http://www.dilard.com/dilard/images/...x/progress.gif

It is possible that version 2.2 will contain the last 2 Wizards (at the bottom of the progress list) and enhancements to bring the rest of the Wizards to full!

The download is now available at Dilard.com . You can find out everything that is new from the Read Me File .

DILARD 2.1 TIPSc>
  • First tip...do a complete back up of your projector! I have found this SOOO useful already that I can't believe we didn't have it sooner. Just drag and drop to back up, reverse direction to restore.
  • The best time to back up is at the beginning or end of "movie night". The Wizard will need to back up some settings while in Standby mode, and other settings when the projector is on. The Wizard will turn the projector on (or off) if you give your permission. I simply start in standby mode, begin the backup, and let the Wizard turn the projector on for me. Then we can start movie night.
  • One full back-up is plenty. Just drag your projector icon onto the file to get a complete back up.
  • Eight Bar Wizard - If you have pixel perfect mapping, this Wizard can clear up any vertical stripes that you see in your picture. If you don't have pixel perfect mapping, get it by turning off the "resize" feature of the projector. You absolutely, 100% need pixel perfect mapping for best results.
  • I personally have had small eight bar issues (faint vertical lines in the picture when the picture pans horizontally) as long as I have had the projector...even right after calibration. Now they are completely gone, and the picture is as smooth as a baby's bottom. You can do this. It's easy.

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to make comments about the latest release. As you can see, the complete suite is nearing completion, with only two more core wizards to go.

I look forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mark:

This is probably an old question but here goes. . .

How do I get pixel perfect mappings if I am not using an HTPC? Is this an issue with a Crystal scaler? I expect we will end up with one of the new scalers in the foreseeable future (F NR; Vigatec; ROCK) and is this the same with any scaler including an HTPC?

With Panamorph right around the corner now (apparently) will this change anything other than the output res?

Is it safe to assume with Panamorph that we will be able to get rid of the halo if our input images are 16:9?

I am assuming turning off resizing is a key issue to getting rid of halo?

Good work, as usual.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, Chuck,

You're fast!

Quote:
How do I get pixel perfect mappings if I am not using an HTPC?
Some of the "calibration" features of the software will most definitely require a computer. It doesn't have to be an HTPC, but many of the Wizards will generate their own test patterns AND make adjustments based on the test patterns.

The Eight Bar Wizard and Black Level Wizard fit this description. You need to project the Wizard itself for it to work.

In other words, a null modem cable goes from computer-->projector for modifications and a VGA cable goes from computer-->projector for test image generation.

This is what a calibrator would do if you shipped it away for adjustment as well.

Quote:
With Panamorph right around the corner now (apparently) will this change anything other than the output res?
The great thing about the Eight Bar adjustment, is that is it is permanent, it is correct across ALL input/source areas and will only need to be touched up again if it "drifts" slightly over time.

You can turn the RESIZE feature off temporarily, make the picture as smooth as possible, and then turn RESIZE back on. You can then use any scaler, any lens, or any set of options you wish (resize on or off) and the eight bar will be correct.

You just need the pixel perfect mapping when performing the adjustment, as you need to get close to the screen and point at the *exact* pixel you are going to adjust.

Quote:
I am assuming turning off resizing is a key issue to getting rid of halo?
Not really. The resize feature just turns the internal scaler on and off. If you input a 1280x1024 source, it will come out as a 1280x1024 smaller picture with Resize off. You will still have pixel perfect mapping, but not to the full panel.

With resize ON, 1280x1024 gets resized to 1365x1024, and the picture fills the panel, but pixel perfect mapping is gone. This Wizard needs the pixel perfect mapping for best results.

Of course, if you input the native resolution of the projector, you don't really need to worry about Resize, as it will have nothing to do.

Good work, as usual.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mark,

I can't wait to try this new release later tonight. Thanks for the detailed explanation of the new features!

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Jeez...how ungrateful of me.

I completely forgot to acknowlege Robert Augustyn and Ken Liles for their help Beta testing this release.

I really have to publicly thank them, as there was a tricky thorn in the Beta (actually in removing the Beta) and they had to do a little more work than they would have liked.

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
As for the stuck pixel, I have been thinking about that quite a bit lately. I think that it would be possible to address the exact pixel or pixels through the WinDVD or PowerDVD applications if we could convince them to put in this functionality. It could also be addressed by the video card drivers that were running the display too.

If they could address the pixel, you could assign it various colors or an off state depending on your pixel situation.

Anyway that is my thought.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mark:

Thanks for the explanation. I think I now finally understand it.

It does sound like that if you feed the DILA 1365 x 1024 and if you want to project that (i.e. through a panamorph assuming 16:9 image in), that if you have previously done the pixel perfect mappings your image should be dead on and halo gone? In this case resize is no longer needed?

I knew I needed to use a PC (we use a laptop) and have done this before and have a permanent cable inside our hush box for this purpose) but was just curious about the pixel mapping stuff.

Now, finally, think I get it.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Now for a really naive question...what is pixel perfect mapping? Also, right now with my CI and Dish satellite, I can only display 4:3 for non-HD channels on my 16:9 screen. Can Dilard help me display this in 16:9 without messing up 16:9 for HD material? I have everything set up with a Crestron controller.

------------------

Stephen Sands

[email protected]

JVC-G11

Pioneer Elite FV-07 DVD

Adcom GTP-760 Processor

Crestron Controller

Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD

Adcom GFA-7500 Amp

Dish Sat.

JVC HR-S4800U VCR

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Mark,

WOW! What an easy thing the backup is to do. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Now for the questions.

I'm still showing 2.01.0274 in "About", not 2.1. I'm hoping this has something to do with the *cover* and neato *on screen messages* in the macros still not working.

In my back up, at the end of the procedure, I got a red warning about R, G and B not being able to be read or graphed, with a statement recommending I should check it out. How come?

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Luca,

I built a prototype of the "Pixel Fixer", which would allow you to point at and click on the problem pixel. The tool then does some fancy CombineRgn() and SetWindowRgn() Win32 API calls with a SetWindowPos() flagged with ALWAYS_ON_TOP.

This means that a "Window" is created with only a problem pixel(s) defined in it that would cover any problems.

However, if the pixel is bad, I don't know if fixing it in the source even helps! If it is always on, isn't it STILL going to be always on even if it is set to permanently black at the source?

Craig,

Good find. I created a helper tool on my end that checks out all of the files from SourceSafe on my server and compiles all 7 wizards, Dilard.exe and the hardware communications .DLL, compiles them, checks them in an builds the installation.

When I created this post, I used the Projector Detector Wizard to create the graphic, and idiotically didn't delete the files when I was done...My tool checked that in as the "Projector Detector Wizard"!. I will fix that immediately and post a link for just that Wizard.

Chris Lay,

Did that happen when making the graph for the HTML report?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Although i have a slight bias with respect to this

software i would like to say that the 8 bar wizard

is the best yet. It turns a miserable job with

multiple pages in the factory tool into something

anyone can use.

With respect to the quarter wave plates, if there

is some interest in this i can write up detailed

instructions on how to do it. You do have to open

the projector, and pay attention, but it is possible

for even moderately capable persons to do this.

(of course you may invalidate your warranty)

And the gamma wizard development is in full swing.

Both mark and i have spent the last two weekends

on this solid.

sleep is highly over-rated

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Mark,

I'm not sure I got the question. Isn't the graph supposed to be created when the HTML report is created?

Can someone check their version to see if it reads 2.1?

Chris

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris,

I found what is causing your R, G, B error. It is a 'verification error', right? This is a protection mechanism built into the back-up Wizard.

The Wizard reads the data from the projector, writes it to the file, then reads the data from the file and compares it to the data from the projector to make sure they match (they should).

If they don't match a 'verification error' appears in the list, and Dilard immediately removes the associated data from the back up file. It is a protection mechanism. I wanted to make 100% sure that the back-up is a complete, fully verified, double-checked back up of the data in the projector. If this is the issue, I found where it can occur.

The 2.01 version is supposed to be 2.10. When I set the MAJOR version to 2, and the MINOR version to 1, it was supposed to be 2.1. I never checked the About screen to see it reported as 2.01. I will address this as well.

Just when you think things are 100% perfect, and there is nothing more to be done, these details pop up (sigh). I am getting ready to re-upload with these details addressed.

Kevin,

Some folks might be interested in the Quarter Wave Plate instructions, but it shouldn't be part of Dilard, IMO. Dilard should be strictly software, and any operations where you open the projector and get inside I would like to be separate...for safety reasons.

Oh, and I agree about the 8 bar adjustments in the factory tool being really bad. As I mentioned, I have had issues with (minor) lines since day 1, and couldn't get the factory tool to fix it properly. The 8 Bar Wizard fixed it in a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Mark,

I don't recall getting a specific "error" message, but I'm sure you're right about what caused it. I'll do another backup in my normal SXGA3 16:9 mode.

Any thoughts on the OSD messages yet? They are the same as before.

Chris

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
OK Mark just wanna see my avatar ...:)

Larry

Yeah and will be downloading the update!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris,

I just re-uploaded the installation. It is version 2.10, contains improved logic for verifying long binary segments (like Gamma data), and fixes the gamma graph JPG creation in the HTML reporting.

I also touched up the "Task.Cover" and "Task.OSDMessage" macro routines, and tested them thoroughly. They work great here.

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with the "Task.OSDMessage" method in a macro? To test it out, run Ken Lile's simple sample macro that ships with Dilard called "Audience Watching" (From Dilard --> Edit | Macro | Run | "Audience Watching").

You should see an on-screen display appear (OSD) with the text "carved out" on top of whatever is behind it.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.