AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,
in a german forum a member developed a 8 channel dsp. It has more functionality than a MiniDSP 10x10HD, but costs only a friction of it.
Some of the advantages over the MiniDSP: 8 Channel USB Audio, FIR Filters, BT/Wlan remote control, price, open source...

applications:
Room compensation / system equalization
Digital crossovers in active loudspeaker concepts
Multiband dynamics processing
Delay compensation / phase shift
Bass enhancement
Subwoofer integration
Stereo image widening

I´m quoting the devoloper here:

"freeDSP-aurora is a one board DSP solution. It all started with the development of a DSP powered subwoofer amplifier. Once the prototype of this amplifier was presented on the German forum diy-hifi.forum.de a fruitful discussion about additional features and ideas started. After two years of development freeDSP-aurora is the distillation of the best ideas.

So here are the features of the board:
Analog Devices ADAU1452, 294.912 MHz, 32-bit SigmaDSP, 6144 SIMD instructions per sample @ 48kHz fs, 40kWords of data RAM, 800ms digital audio delay pool @ 48kHz fs, eight stereo ASRCs with 139dB DNR
XMOS XE216-512-TQ128 for multichannel bidirectional audio streaming
ESP32 for WiFi or Bluetooth control
AKM AK4458 32bit-DAC
AKM AK5558 32bit-ADC
Supporting sample rates between 44.1kHz and 192kHz
8 analog balanced input channels, +6dBu
8 analog balanced output channels, +6dBu
S/P-DIF input and output
ADAT input and output
Wordclock input and output
Support for display, rotary encoder, volume potentiometer, temperature sensor, PWM controlled fan, IR sensor
One freeDSP expansion header
USB Audio Class 2 Bidirectional streaming with 8 channels in and 8 channels out, full-duplex. Works with ASIO driver under Windows 10 and driverless under macOS and Linux.
Board dimensions: 100mm x 100mm

To make using as easy as possible I wrote my own app that controls the DSP via Bluetooth. The app runs on macOS, Windows or iOS. Thanks to the ESP32 framework Wifi instead of Bluetooth is an option.

The features of the DSP depend on the DSP firmware. Therefore, I have made a first DSP firmware with the following features per channel.
Input select
High pass up to fourth order (Bessel, Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley)
Low shelving
10 parametric EQs
High shelving
Low pass up to fourth order (Bessel, Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley)
Frequency depending phase shift (allpass)
Phase inversion
Delay 100ms
Gain
It supports 8 channels in and out.
This feature list is only a first step. It can be extended in the future, e.g. FIR-Filters are already on the ToDo list.

Like any other freeDSP the project is licensed under an open source license. Thus, everybody is invited to modify or contribute to this project. You can even download everything and build as many freeDSPs as you want. "

You can already test out the software: https://github.com/freeDSP/freeDSP-aurora/releases

There is a kickstarter campaign running, but i cant link to it directly. (forum rules)

If you want more detailed infos or how to acquire it, follow these links:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/334055-freedsp-aurora-dsp-8-os-usb-audio-dif-adat-bluetooth-wifi-contro.html

german (use translator):
https://www.diy-hifi-forum.eu/forum/showthread.php?18572-freeDSP-aurora-Der-Feature-Thread
https://www.diy-hifi-forum.eu/forum/showthread.php?15019-Verst%E4rkermodul-mit-DSP-600W-1-4Kan%E4le-low-budget-high-quality

Regards,
Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a heads up:
Nearly half of the funding goal reached :)

BTW this might be the only chance to grab a ready made board, it is unsure of now if there will another group buy or if you can just buy the empty pcb and solder everything yourself after the campaign ends.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another update:

First measurement of the DSP:

DAC: -103dB @ 1kHz, 0dBfs, fs=48kHz
ADC: -101dB @ 1kHz, 0dBfs, fs=48kHz
Latency: 1.125ms (talkthrough ADC->DSP->DAC)

First Stretchgoal:

Expansion boards!

Add-On A: The woodworker´s friend

Perfect for an active loudspeaker

1x XLR Analog in
1x RCA Analog in
1x TOSlink in (for S/P-DIF via glassfiber)
1x RCA Digital in (for S/P-DIF via coaxial cable)
1x RCA Digital out (connect a subwoofer)
1x XLR Analog Out (connect a subwoofer)
1x USB
Volume poti perfectly hidden so not everyone messes around with your settings ;)

Add-On B: Down with developers

Pre-amp / 7.1-management without limits.

8x XLR Analog Out, unbalanced is possible too
8x RCA Analog In
4x RCA Digital In (for S/P-DIF via Cinch)
4x TOSlink Digital In ((for S/P-DIF via LWL)
1x USB in
All digital inputs are up for multiplexing

Add-On C: For those who love to take control over the crowd

Loudspeaker management system for your next gig.

8x XLR Analog Out
4x XLR Analog In, two ADCs parallel for a much better SNR
1x TOSlink in
1x TOSlink out
1x XLR Digital In AES/EBU
1x XLR Digital Out AES/EBU
1x USB
All TOSlink can be used with ADAT or S/P-DIF. You choose what you need!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There will be a complete ready-built AURORA installed in a beautiful aluminum case!

This will be an exclusive edition that we will not produce again. There will be no more than 24 AURORA ltd. All the case plans etc will be destroyed after end of production. Just to make sure.

Every single one handcrafted by our mastermind himself. And we will force him to sign it too at a secret spot ;)

IT will be AURORA with the expansion board B ready to go from outside the box.

3mm top and bottom, 10mm front and side plates, black eloxated, inscribed connectors. Very high quality stuff :)

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Over 70% of funding completed :)

New Video of subwoofer integration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyr88uI3BYQ

Since there doesnt seem to be any interest in this project here this might be me last post.

I rely on a UDAC8 and EAPO to run my entire system. this would be amazing to get a hold of to allow me to remove the dependency of EAPO so i can use other sources like gaming consoles and other things. Or use it in other environments where a dedicated HTPC isn't needed (friends and family)

i'd be very interested in getting my hands on one

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm interested in this but to say its better than a miniDSP 10x10 and not see it in action is claiming a lot. For just a ready made board its $225, that's before case, connectors and power. You'll have to hope that it also doesn't introduce noise and the software itself IS really intuitive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi guys,
the direct competition might be the 10x10HD, since the DDRC-88A has DiracLive. (You can use Rephase to create FIR Filters on the Aurora though, but the automation part is missing)
The developer works in the field of DSPs in his daily job aswell and already did some measurements of the Aurora. The FreeDSP Family is well known in germany, seems to have not yet reached over to america. http://freedsp.cc

More measurements will be published very soon.

I mentioned some of the advantages of the Aurora in the first post: 8 Channel USB Audio, BT/Wlan remote control, price, open source, different input/output boards for different projects (you can wire it without them aswell)

The open source part might be the most interesting one for people that know electronics, since you can tailor it to your needs. The community propably will come up with some need extension boards aswell, which will further expand the possibilities.

Ill ask the developer to write here directly, he can answer and explain the more complex technical stuff.

@Trimlock You can already test out the software. Just download it from the link in the first post. It is still in development (FIr Filters are yet to be implemented) but aleady looks very promising.

Regards,
Herb

EDIT: Just as I was writing this post, the developer updated the software: It now features FIR Filters and you can import them directly from Rephase :)
A new video will be published soon.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
That hardware list looks impressive enough. Haven't watched the video yet.

I'm not really interested because I already have a DSP solution, but perhaps others would be greatly interested.

I'm thinking though that most people would find the on-board DSP on their inukes to be enough.
It could be a tough sell because most people that need DSP already have theirs...

If the GUI and user manuals aren't in english that could be a HUGE problem for this side of the sphere.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
After reading more about this, I think I convinced myself to go in on the board, mostly because it supports balanced I/O. I'd like two but I think I'd rather try 1 first. What is the chance, that after this the complete boards are going to be available?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If the GUI and user manuals aren't in english that could be a HUGE problem for this side of the sphere.

I'm thinking though that most people would find the on-board DSP on their inukes to be enough.
It could be a tough sell because most people that need DSP already have theirs...
Everything (Software GUI,Manuals,etc) is in english language. :)

The Inuke DSP is mostly used for subwoofers, the Aurora can be used for 7.1 or 6.2 or even 16 channels if you synchronize two boards via wordclock. I think we can agree that most automatic measurement solutions of AV-Receivers arent that effective. Manual tweaking will yield better results most of the time. Furthermore 8 Channel USB Audio is something that few DSPs offer.

What is the chance, that after this the complete boards are going to be available?
Im not sure yet. The more people order, the less it costs, so you could order boards with e.g. 50 people but the cost of manufacturing would be higher. But once it is released and lives up to specs (which im sure of) more people might find interest in it and would like to order. Given the initial kickstarter campaign is a success.

Regards,
Herb

·
Registered
250 Posts
Okay so I’m interested in this for sure, not quite time for me to buy a dsp quite yet as I’m buying new speakers for $$ and I’ve also never used a dsp for home theater ausio beside the built in auto eq. How much of a benefit would this yeild over a good audyssy auto eq with nice “flat” response speakers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Audyssee is not too bad, especially compared to the alternatives (Mcacc etc...).

You got some degree of control by using the app. If you are willing to learn and to improve your sound further a manual eq is the way to go.
Audyssey tends to set LOTS of filters and sometimes limits how loud you can go. Not Aurora. Many people just want eq till the Schrödinger-frequency... Not a chance while using Audyssey afaik.

If you just want something to get the job done, not invest some time in better sound and already have a av-receiver with audyssey xt32 you might wanna stick with that.

Regards,
Herb

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The countdown has begun: 10 hours till then end of the kickstarter campaign. The goal has already been met.

Last measurements:

110dB, A-weighted at 48kHz, Talkthrough-configuration.

Regards,
Herb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts