AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Cox Cable here in CA in Southern Orange County.

I have a DVR on my big screen HD set and another TV without a DVR using a direct cable connection. The set without the DVR doesn't seem to have this issue.

For the past few weeks I have been seeing more and more pixelation and freezing of the picture and sound for a second or two on my HD set with the DVR. This can occur infrequently at times with several minutes between freeze ups and at other times it is happening every 10-30 seconds. This makes it almost unwatchable!

I had Cox Tech service come by yesterday evening (THREE techs were here for part of the time mulling over what to do to fix it). They did check the signal strength by pressing a combo of buttons on the face of the DVR to get the levels on the screen. The readings for both QAM tuners were within spec. In fact the guy said "You have a really good signal here"

They decided it was a "bad cable or connector" and NOT an issue with the DVR. He went thru removing and plugging back in all of the cable connections to both sets, even stripping and replacing the ends on a couple of them.

When that didn't fix it, one of the trio said that a "filter" of some sort should be put on the line at the cable panel on the side of the house.

Their "theory" (and that was all it was....a "Theory") was that some kind of "back feed" or interference was causing this and that this "filter" would stop the signal break up.

They assured me that this would take care of it. Sure enough, probably just by chance, the pixelation/freezing did disappear for an hour or so and then came back with a vengence, if anything worse than before!

Of course, I am now going to have to call Cox back out. But, this time I am going to insist on a Supervisor or someone with more experience in this type of issue making the service call.

Hopefully, someone here will have an idea regarding what is causing this and how it can be resolved.

Thanx for any advise or assistance!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Are you using HDMI or Component from the PVR to the TV? If HDMI do you have a set of component cables you can Try or if component do ypu have a HDMI cable you can try.

What make/model of HD TV do you have and when did you get it?

I have not had the problems you are having with my Cox PVR service here in San Clemente.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my Samsung ln46a750 after moving into my new house. Had the cable company come out twice to check the signal. Turns out the cable box was the problem and switched it out with a new one. (the first box was bad right out of the box) No more issues with pixelation or sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts