AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got a  new JVC DLA-X55  projector , the guy who installed it says despite what i think that the bulb problem is only in the older bulb type projector and that a ups is not need even if there is a sudden power outage nothing will happen to the projector. 

i live in india where there are frequent power outage and have a backup diesel generator which comes online in case of a power failure in 5 seconds.

As far as my understanding goes with frequent powercuts, and switching off the projector without a proper shutdown reduces the lamp life,  Please advice :).  

http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029154&pathId=71&page=10

http://www.avforums.com/review/jvc-x55-dila-projector-review.431

Quote:

As per the manual 

Turn off the power

Remote control: press the (D [STAND BY] button

Projector unit: press the £')/ I [STAND BY/ON] button

° While the “Are you sure you want to turn off?” message is displayed, press the button again.

° The lamp turns off, and the “STANDBY/ON” indicator switches from a green light to a red blinking light.

° After the light goes off, the fan will run for about 60 seconds to cool down the lamp (Cool-down mode)

Do not disconnect the power cable while cooling is in progress.

° After about 60 seconds, the “STAND BY/ON” indicator switches from a blinking red to a solid red light.

“STAND BY/ON” blinking (red) “STAND BY/ON” lights up (red)

In the Cool-down mode In standby state

CAUTION

° The power cannot be turned off within approximately 90 seconds after it has been turned on. 

° After the light goes off, the fan will run for about 60 seconds to cool down the lamp (Cool-down mode)

Do not disconnect the power cable while cooling is in progress.

° The power cannot be turned on again while cooling is in progress (60 seconds).

° Pull out the power plug when the unit is not to be used for a prolonged period of time.

jvc.jpg 323k .jpg file 

Attachments

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
If your generator comes on in 5 seconds, buy a ups so the projector does not go off in those 5 seconds. I have power outages that last about 1 second maybe 2 times a year and my projector is on a UPS, the cable box and receiver is on another UPS and the Fios ONT is on yet a 3rd UPS. Can't have anything rebooting for 2 minutes during Game of Thorns! ;-)

Will it mess up the lamp, maybe, maybe not.. will in mess up your evening waiting for the projector to finish cool down once the generator kicks in, then waiting for the projector to reboot.. YES. I am sure they cost more over there than here but for the added protection of a very expensive projector what is another $150-200?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Does this mean the projector is not likely to get damaged as its being turned off without it being cooled if there is a power outage

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I would not assume that to be true. I spent to much money on my equipment to take a chance. I have pulled the plug by accident a couple of times before I got the UPS with no obvious issues, but I and many others use a simple PC style UPS that will keep the projector on till the backup power comes one or in my case I shut it down.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
I bought the Cyber Power 1000 from Amazon....true sine wave also....around $130 I think. Should give me 8-10 minutes of battery in case of an event...plenty of time to shut everything down. I'm getting my projector pro cal'd, so that gives me even more incentive not to blow a lamp in case of an outage.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abishek  /t/1521220/frequent-power-outages-do-i-need-a-ups-inverter-for-x55#post_24447386

Does this mean the projector is not likely to get damaged as its being turned off without it being cooled if there is a power outage

Cutting power to the projector suddenly (i.e. - a power outage/brown out) will definitely reduce lamp life and *possibly* put unwarranted stress on the internal components. The inside of projectors get very hot, especially the lamp. During normal shutdown the fan keeps running once the lamp is off to remove the excess heat. During a sudden shutdown/outage the fan cannot run and all that extra heat just sits inside the projector. Not removing that excess heat after shutdown can take hours off the lamp life over time, so if it happens "frequently" (like 5-10 times a year if brown outs are that common) you will definitely notice a shorter lamp life....and there is always that paranoid chance of other stress on more vital/expensive parts within the projector. As an example, when I watch just one movie on my Sony VPL-VW600ES in normal lamp mode and turn it off, the fan runs for about 2-3 minutes longer just to remove all of the excess heat.

For peace of mind, a UPS is a no-brainer and very cheap when compared to the cost of a new lamp, or worse.

·
Premium Member
24,831 Posts
Can't believe this question never occurred to me before - when power goes out and the UPS takes over, what keeps it from trying to supply power to everything connected to the grid?

·
Registered
19,830 Posts

·
Registered
6,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1521220/frequent-power-outages-do-i-need-a-ups-inverter-for-x55#post_24452658

Can't believe this question never occurred to me before - when power goes out and the UPS takes over, what keeps it from trying to supply power to everything connected to the grid?

Depends on the UPS. The one I use has outlets 4 outlets that will run off the UPS if power goes out and 4 outlets that will not.

*Craig beat me to it

·
Premium Member
24,831 Posts
Doesn't answer the question - your neighbors are getting power from the same power lines, so you're all connected together; what keeps your UPS power from going through the lines to their houses?

·
Registered
6,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1521220/frequent-power-outages-do-i-need-a-ups-inverter-for-x55#post_24458356

Doesn't answer the question - your neighbors are getting power from the same power lines, so you're all connected together; what keeps your UPS power from going through the lines to their houses?

The design of the UPS. It will only supply power to the appropriately marked outlets on the UPS itself. It will not try to feed power back into the wall outlet/grid.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1521220/frequent-power-outages-do-i-need-a-ups-inverter-for-x55/0_100#post_24458356

UPS plugs into wall, items you want to run when the wall goes dead, plug into the UPS. Output of UPS only goes out the sockets on the back of the UPS. See picture below

The sockets on the left would be powered by the UPS the ones on the right as just surge protected and would go dead when the power goes out.

If by chance you were talking about the OPs generator, a generator is hooked up to a transfer switch that when in use disconnects the house from the Mains so as not to backfeed the grid as you suggest.

·
Premium Member
24,831 Posts
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus  /t/1521220/frequent-power-outages-do-i-need-a-ups-inverter-for-x55/0_50#post_24459072

The design of the UPS. It will only supply power to the appropriately marked outlets on the UPS itself. It will not try to feed power back into the wall outlet/grid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1521220/frequent-power-outages-do-i-need-a-ups-inverter-for-x55/0_50#post_24459184

If by chance you were talking about the OPs generator, a generator is hooked up to a transfer switch that when in use disconnects the house from the Mains so as not to backfeed the grid as you suggest.

Those are the answers, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts