AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a fresh install of Windows XP and I'm wondering what codecs do you people recommend for best playback without conflicts???

I have a Dell laptop with:

- Centrino Duo 2.0Ghz

- 2 GB Ram

- Geforce Go 7300

Basically my computer is a bit of a mess because I've installed and uninstalled so many codecs. I think ffdshow messed my computer up the most.

I would like to play all my files with Windows Media Player and I have CoreAVC Pro (which I think comes with Haali or MKV right???), Purevideo Platinum, and of course the trusty VLC player just in case. I would like to play back high def video, h264, .ts, etc.

Strange thing is that right now I can play quicktime files and divx(though it's upside down) on my computer, but I've uninstalled ffdshow so I'm not sure what's going on.

Also I was wondering if I should install the newest foreware drivers (modded for laptops) because right now i'm using a 84.?? driver because that's what my dell came with, I wondering if I'm missing out on some of my video card optimizations since I don't have the latest driver???

I would like a completly trouble free setup, so if anyone could help, that'd be great!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm using Zoomplayer Professional 5 for playback.

For codecs I'm running:

- The latest versions of PureVideo and Forceware.

- The latest version of CoreAVC Professional

- I'm usuallly a version behind with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. I've had good luck with using "lots of stuff" in the installation without having to tweak much post installation.

I'm able to easily playback everything I can throw at the setup without having to mess with anything. I've only had stability problems with the previous version CoreAVC and the divx/xvid official decoders (I now use ffdshow to decode xvid/divx but I avoid theses codecs for the sake of quality).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm......I really don't understand what that program is about, but I'll give it another look later.

I'm basically playing all the different type of high def. files around.

Could someone maybe help me figure out what codecs are for what type of files.

I'll be playing those h264, x264, .ts, .mkv files and then I'll just get the divx player for the few divx things I have. I don't know if that plays xvid aswell, or if I have to download something else???

I'm also unsure as to what version of the foreware drivers I should use for best video performance.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
GSpot can be used to figure out what codec is used in your specific files (among other things).

If you just install ffdshow it can take care of all your decoding for you. It will handle MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP (DivX, XviD), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), and dozens of others.

If you want more customized playback, use something like CoreAVC for HD H.264. NVIDIA's PureVideo Decoder is great for MPEG-2 decode. Etc. Search around you can find tons of other people and what they are using.

Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes but will ffdshow give the best quality? Also, will it play my files without any stutters?

Also, it seems so complicated and I have no idea how to use CoreAVC with windows ffdshow and windos media player.

What version of CoreAVC works best because I have version 1.1.0.5 professional, but I have access to version 1.2.0.0 if that's significantly better???

·
Registered
592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen /forum/post/0

Installing Codec Packs is asking for trouble.

Avoid them.

Diogen.

I would of totally agreed with you a couple years ago but codec packages like K-Lite have come a long way. If you're already having issues aside from missing codecs the odds are that it's not going to solve your problems.

I would suggest starting with a fresh and updated installation of the OS if you don't know your way around Windows codec management. If you're using Purevideo for MPEG-2, install that first. If you're using CoreAVC for AVC/x264/h264 playback install that next. The last step would be to install the K-Lite Mega Pack. The codec configuration is very minimal for most configurations once things are installed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Zoom player will install all the codecs you need, it ask's you now and downloads them for you.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use FFDShow and nothing else. The updates and support are top notch. Check out the SourceForge . Also, there is know way we're going to know if your files will play on your system without studder because we don't know your system or what your files were encoded with.

EDIT: For CoreAVC version history and help check out the readme that came with the installer or email support and ask. Why wouldn't you update to CoreAVC 1.2 if you have purchased it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well my problem with ffdshow is that it messed everything up when I installed it. The colour was messed up with my divx videos until I randomly turned off or on one of the settings.

Also, even after I uninstalled it, some of my videos are flipped upside down. Like a recent Conan episode I have that's an .avi format.

Would a fresh install solve this?

1.Latest Nvida drivers

2.Purevideo Platinum

3.CoreAVC Pro

4. ffdshow

???

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybadoey /forum/post/0

So K-Lite is the best codec pack? It will play divx/xvid? Is it better then ffshow??? Also, what do I have to set with k-Lite codec pack?

No, in my experience ffdshow will play 99% of the video out there, unless you try to play some obsure/old file, which I've only run into once. ffdshow does so in one, tight package. You can always use VLC if it can't play it.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Flipped upside down means you selected that option in ffdshow, either accidentally or intentionally but forgotten. FFdshow is the best I've ever seen quality wise and for ease of use. Color being messed up just means another setting needs to be changed in ffdshow. Nothing more.

It wouldn't have done upside down thing on it's own, you had to have selected it.

Troy

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybadoey /forum/post/0

What's the latest version of ffdshow???

Did you look at the SourceForge link that I posted? As of right now clsid released the latest one dated January 24, 2007. Just accept all the default values and you should have no problems. Actually since you have CoreAVC uncheck h.264/avc codec.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The problem with FFDShow is that once installed it wants to be the King of all codecs in your system. It sets up its merit value so high that it will always try to play every type of file. If you have no other codec installed that is great but if you have other codecs installed then that is where problems start. I can't tell you how many times I have ended up having two video codecs wanting to play the same file and it's always after installing FFDshow. If you had another codec designated to play a certain file (like mpeg2), ffdshow will now insert itself in the chain and if purevideo doesn't give in you end up with both codecs playing the file and major studdering is the result. As long as you are aware of this and take appropriate precautions then you can have your codecs co-exist in your system peacefully.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.