AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boomtown on NBC has alway been a 1080i program. The season premier this Friday night is 4:3 letterboxed to widescreen, and obviously low definition. I've tried calling our local affiliate to see if they fell asleep and didn't 'throw the switch', but there is not direct way to contact the engineers by phone.

Is our local affiliate asleep, or is nationwide NBC having a problem with the HD Boomtown feed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My affiliate in Springfield, MA was broadcasting in 1080i, until the last commercial. When it came back from commercial, it was in the same 4:3 letterbox that you are seeing. I, too am looking for a way to contact my local station engineer to see what the problem is. My guess is that it's probably a national thing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
letterboxed in Baltimore and Washington too. Must be the national feed

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
For me, I had full high-def before the commerical, and after the commercial break it went to 4x3. I called my local affiliate and was informed that NBC was passing it to them wrong. I'm hoping when we come back from the current commercial break maybe it will go back to hi-def.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darnit, I planned ahead knowing that Vanessa and Rebecca were in this one! To hype it as much as they did, and yet to deny high definition.........man, the dissapointment.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Forgetting about the HD issues. What the heck happened to Boomtown? This show feels completely different, none of the writing, none of the pacing that made the first season so different. It looks like they brought in the "make it a standard cop show" production crew. This really sucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I called my affil and the guy told me NBC is feeding them this letterboxed+sidebar video. The guy was pissed but not surprised. "I can't believe they did this on another season premiere" he said.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was just coming here to ask about this show. if it is in widescreen 4:3 would that give it bars on all 4 sides? I had a complete fullcreen pic and during a commercial I changed inputs on the tv and after I switched back and the show started it had the bars. I thought my set had a problem.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpfarr
Forgetting about the HD issues. What the heck happened to Boomtown? This show feels completely different, none of the writing, none of the pacing that made the first season so different.
That is an excellent point. While I am disappointed in the non-HD feed of this premiere, I am more upset that a bunch of suits monkeyed with the ONLY network drama I have watched in five years. It's a good show, but the networks just don't care. They are impatient and greedy. Well-done programming is not enough for them: They NEED ratings for more cash and I am sick of it. I am sticking with Boomtown until about three weeks for now, but if it continues to be sterile and lifeless, I will quit it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Here in Minneapolis, Boomtown started off in HD and stayed that way, except for commercials, until about 9:36 CT. Then somebody forgot to change from the SD they use for commercials to the HD they're supposed to use for Boomtown, and they left the show in letterboxed 4:3 -- with correspondingly lousy sound -- for the remainder of the hour. The attitude at the station obviously is something like, "Our viewers don't need no steenking high definition!"

I say again, IMO it's not NBC's fault -- at least not this time. It's the individual affiliates whose employees were asleep at the switch, and/or didn't give a damn.

[Edit]

Evidence: Some posters seem to be saying that all of the show was in SD, while I saw it change from HD to SD around 36 minutes after the hour, and others seem to have noticed it change from HD to SD after some earlier commercial break. When station engineers say the national feed is bad (as reported by two posters here), it may be just a case of passing the buck. It gets the caller off their back.

[/Edit]

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent national NBC a long message about how Boomtown was one of my favorite shows, yet I missed most of it working out the HD issues.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
WRC-DT channel 48-2 in Washington DC was standard definition letterboxed, not 16:9 HD. And I'll echo everyone else's comments--Boomtown did not "feel" like last season's show. Disappointments all around, and a big fat raspberry to NBC and/or WRC for screwing up three HD season premieres this week (Las Vegas, Law & Order: SVU and Boomtown).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
tpfarr said:

What the heck happened to Boomtown? This show feels completely different, none of the writing, none of the pacing that made the first season so different. It looks like they brought in the "make it a standard cop show" production crew. This really sucks.
Tom's right. And then, at the end of the show, we have De Mornay cold-bloodedly offing her partner in crime -- what a cliché -- and then taunting the cops with a "Good luck!" (in convicting her) -- another tired old cliché. How disappointing.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I would bet its the usual problem where NBC didn't get the HD master in time. They require it to be shipped by mail from the west coast to the east coast. This has happened before like with American Dreams when they were behind schedule and could barely get the SD master in and the HD master takes a few days more.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpfarr
Forgetting about the HD issues. What the heck happened to Boomtown? This show feels completely different, none of the writing, none of the pacing that made the first season so different. It looks like they brought in the "make it a standard cop show" production crew. This really sucks.
If you think THIS show was ruined... were you unlucky enough to catch "Coupling"? Reminds me of when "Seinfeld" did a parody of itself, casting people to play each of the show's characters for an NBC pilot about them. As expected, it was DREADFUL (humorously so)!

Well that's what they did to "Coupling", except the result is NOT humorous. They took the exact script from a good British comedy, gave it to corny Americans to read (that's all they do... read their lines), and call it "the next Friends".

What crap!

Looks like "Boomtown" is headed down that road too. They couldn't just leave well enough alone with one of the three best shows on TV last year.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here in DFW, we had HD for the first segment before the commercials. Right before it went to commercials, there was a snippet of the next segment (of Vanessa Williams walking out her door), still in HD. But it immediate clicked to SD commercial, and we never say any more HD.

I could only get a capture of Ms. Williams for my 2003 TV Season Page .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.