AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little picture review of upgrading from a 16:9 (Silverstar) screen to a 2.40 AR Cinemascope screen (Da-Lite High Power) for movie viewing. I'm not going to get into to much detail on this except to say that now with 1080p projectors and 1080 sources its possible to go much bigger that we did before AND get better picture quality. The trick of course is getting the brightness from a big screen with dimmer projectors. That's why I've always stuck with higher gain screens and the High Power works so wonderfully for Cinemascope applications.

First off I built this rack like framework to hang my screen materials on. It's very useful and elegant in a room that's 32' foot wide and 40' deep. It adds to the cinema feel, proportionality of the room, and holds up screen materials wonderfully. This frame was also somewhat of a necessity as I've never been really all that interested in the mechanics of screens and always been a proponent of Fixed Frame screens, The rack accommodates this. I prefer fixed frame screens because they're always flat, always, in the perfect position, and always ready for watching. Of course the new Da-Lite High Power is basically the same in these regards. The retroreflective properties doesn't require perfectly flat, I set the stops on the electric screen so I just punch a button and it goes into position, and when I want to watch Cinemascope movies I'm ready to go

Okay, enough BS, here's my setup with the 5' x 9' Silverstar. As you can see it's not going to accommodate the new 5' x 12' Da-Lite High Power width wise. I will have to do some modifications
This is where it gets fun.

Framework is about 2 feet deep allowing me to put my sub, other speakers and various other things I want to hide.

Here's where I get to work and start stripping off the curtains and other peripherals.

Now I'm into past screens as I strip the layers back. This frame was nice as it allowed me to get just the screen material for review and not all the other hardware required for a normal screen.

This opening is about 7' x 11' allowing for enough material plus any masking on top. It's built for tensionable materials that just connect to Velcro around the perimeter. There's no steel studs in the opening because some tensionable material is somewhat translucent. I didn't want to see these studs through the screen.

Finally we get all the materials you see stripped off and get down to the framework. This I built with steel studs. I love working with steel studs and it's great fun to build stuff with them.

The great thing about a framework like this is it doesn't have to be very elegant. It's all covered with material that are. The curtains although just cheap fabric really hides some sloppy work.

Steel studs come in a variety of sizes and can be found at most drywall suppliers. To work with the lower gauge studs all you need is tin snips, a screw gun and imagination.

There's basically two building units with steels studs. Studs and Track. Here you can see the Track on the floor and the Studs fitting into it. Screwing stuff together requires no pre drilling. If you use the lower gauge studs self tapping screws aren't even required. It's very fast to work with steel studs and they are incredibly strong once tied together. Plus always straight as an arrow. For many applications they're much easier and better to work with than wood.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here's me with my adult erector set. Here is where I widened the frame 3 extra feet. Cut down the middle and slide em out

Okay I've finally widened the framework for the new screen and I'm ready to start fitting back the outer layers.

Piecing the felt backing on the framework. I didn't want to have to go buy additional material so I was a little creative with what I had. The felt I use is a very thick type used as trunk liners for cars. It comes in up to 72 widths. It's very inexpensive and 10 times the quality of standard felt. No photon can escape it!

Add the curtains back and I'm ready for the new screen.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea! the new screen finally arrives.

I'm so excited I get it out of the box as soon as I can and start getting to work on installation.

Casing and workmanship is tip top. I'm always a little surprised how nice professionally made screens are. I guess they know what their doing

I finally get the screen up. Not an easy task for one person as this electric screen isn't exactly a feather. But it comes together nicely after some measurements and looks like a perfect fit.

I got the Contour Electrol electric screen from Da-Lite. There are many other varieties of electric screen and surprisingly they are more affordable than you might think. Having operation with a remote or touch of a button is very deluxe and in the long run probably makes up for all the damage you would do to a screen by pulling it up and down yourself. Perfect up and down every time. I love it!

I'm still making small adjustments but this setup is wonderful. I have the 16:9 Silverstar for sports viewing and the 2.40 AR High Power for movie viewing. The best of both worlds.

If you've ever thought about automated masking you may want to do what I did and just buy another screen. All screens don't meet all needs. Whether its increased brightness for sports viewing or a different aspect ratio for movie watching matching the perfect screen definitely improves your home theater. Whatever you do, go big.

I hope this little construction project has given some ideas to people thinking about the design of their own theater. I made this framework to hold screens about 6 years ago and since then I've noticed others with vaulted ceilings have made similar setups. Bravo!, it's the sincerest form of flattery.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll save this space for more stuff later.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. It's a really cool set up that allows me to continue to modify and meet future needs.

Here's another example that Doktor_Ssyko built to accommodate his vaulted ceilings

Very nice! His curtain rod (copper pipe) is much more deluxe than mine. I just use ol-cheapo $3 curtain hangers from Home Depot

·
Registered
325 Posts
Tryg, not trying to be a copycat or anything but your photos have inspired me to try and improve the form and function of my own system. I am off to the Home Depot for some supplies. BTW, where did you get your "trunk lining" felt?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trunk lining can be found at most upholstery shops.

I'm 16 foot from screen. I have a 9 foot wide and 12 wide screen at this time

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
The SS is 9 ft W (that's the largest SS, I think), and the 12 ft W is the HP, right? So this is a viewing distance 1.8 and 1.3 screen widths. So a viewing distance of 1.3 SW from the HP obviously works for you, right? This is what I'm going to try, a 133"diag HP from ~ 12.5 ft, corresponding to 1.3 SW. I just need to convince myself that this is not too large a screen from tis viewing distance.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY /forum/post/0

Do you ever play the pinball machine?

yes

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly /forum/post/0

Tryg

what are the dimensions of your new Contour Electrol. looks like your set up works well

Well, in the beginning somewhere he says it's "5x12." 2.4 ratio.

Lots of people are going 2.35 and it look like a few are getting 2.4 ratios, and some are going in-between, 2.37. Confusin', innit? Maybe we can get Tryg to elaborate: why 2.4 instead of 2.35 ?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
most cinemascope movies are 2.40

not a big deal as both should work with the proper overscan

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, It's acoustically transparent. I dont know how much but probably a lot like grill cloth.

I tend not to get lost in the details of these things

·
Registered
457 Posts
Great job Tryg!!

What projector are you using?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JVC G1000

but an JVC RS1 when it arrives

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.