AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because LCD/LED has not come out with a reasonably priced 65" or bigger LCD or LED, I purchased a Panasonic 65" S2 plasma yesterday.

While I am more in the LCD camp and LOVE the picture on my 55" Vizio LED/LCD I was just so done with waiting for an affordable large screen LCD so I took a chance and got the plasma.

As some of you might recall, last year I purchased a 65" Panny S1 but returned it to keep my 55" Vizio instead,,, reasons were, no light control and I liked the picture better on my Vizio,,, with this recent purchase I feel the S2's picture is a very nice jump in PQ over last years S1, and I no longer have to worry about light control (I now have a bat cave).

I gota say,, Im pretty happy with the new purchase,,, the Panny S2 really does have a great picture and since Im in a total light controlled room, glare is not an issue, actually the S2 handles glare/reflections much better than I thought it would.

Anyhow,, I just thought I would post this here in the LCD section for anyone that might be in the same situation as myself,,, wanting a bigger screen size that LCD does not offer yet (at a realistic price).

Will I go back to LCD/LED when 65" or larger ones come out and have an affordable price,,,, yes,,, I will probaly go back to LCD, but untill then I am going to be enjoying my new 65 incher.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
64 Posts
i'm glad that you be a part of 85% of the world population that dont see the plasma flicker.

guys, when you shop for a TV and never had a plasma set before, take a USB stick, and upload a bright sheet.

you can also use the (here well known) plasma break in dvd.

drive to a local BB and test the plasma flicker with the usb stick or the break-in-dvd.

if you dont see the bright areas flicker... go ahead and buy a plasma.

if you see the flicker...just stay away from plasmas, because they dont make you happy!!!

i tested PN58C7000; PN50C8000; PN58C680; 50VT25; 55VT25; 55S2; 55G25

when you see the flicker on one set, you see it on every plasma set.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola74
i'm glad that you be a part of 85% of the world population that dont see the plasma flicker.
You don't know how much I'd love to be part of that 85% of the population. I'd be a happy camper right now.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola74 /forum/post/19513432

guys, when you shop for a TV and never had a plasma set before, take a USB stick, and upload a bright sheet.

you can also use the (here well known) plasma break in dvd.

drive to a local BB and test the plasma flicker with the usb stick or the break-in-dvd.

if you dont see the bright areas flicker... go ahead and buy a plasma.

if you see the flicker...just stay away from plasmas, because they dont make you happy!!!

i tested PN58C7000; PN50C8000; PN58C680; 50VT25; 55VT25; 55S2; 55G25

when you see the flicker on one set, you see it on every plasma set.

Oddly enough I see it on my plasma sometimes (especially white screens) but after a while my eyes adapt and I stop noticing it for the most part. If I use my LCD for a long time and don't use the plasma during that time when I go back to the plasma it's very obvious for a significant amount of time.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Congrats DAVYO! That means now that you made the jump and slumming with a big plasma
that all kinds of big panels will be announced at CES.

I thought you'd wait for the 65" Vizio 3D which is supposed to debut soon after CES. I decided to wait for CES AGAIN since they are asking insane prices for the Samsung 65" C8000 and they are in such short supply and besides I still cannot tolerate it's brushed stainless bezel at all, I know many love it but I just feel it subdues the PQ whereas I bought a 55" C6400 for upstairs with black bezel and it's striking versus the silver IMO - everytime I went to the store to compare the C8000's never impressed me as much as the panels with black bezels and I figure my kitchen appliances are stainless but I don't want it on my TV and even though my Sharp 57" is Titanium the screen bezel is surrounded/framed in black to draw contrast.

Enjoy your plasma but I'm certain in about 7 weeks we're gonna here you ***** when bigger panels get announced or your BIG Vizio finally arrives in 3D.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
DAVYO,

tell us after 30 days or so what your impressions are (Plasma vs. LCd),would be nice to hear it from a LCd lover .

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/19514512

Congrats DAVYO! That means now that you made the jump and slumming with a big plasma
that all kinds of big panels will be announced at CES.

I thought you'd wait for the 65" Vizio 3D which is supposed to debut soon after CES. I decided to wait for CES AGAIN since they are asking insane prices for the Samsung 65" C8000 and they are in such short supply and besides I still cannot tolerate it's brushed stainless bezel at all, I know many love it but I just feel it subdues the PQ whereas I bought a 55" C6400 for upstairs with black bezel and it's striking versus the silver IMO - everytime I went to the store to compare the C8000's never impressed me as much as the panels with black bezels and I figure my kitchen appliances are stainless but I don't want it on my TV and even though my Sharp 57" is Titanium the screen bezel is surrounded/framed in black to draw contrast.

Enjoy your plasma but I'm certain in about 7 weeks we're gonna here you ***** when bigger panels get announced or your BIG Vizio finally arrives in 3D.

Yea,,, I was going to wait but I just couldnt take it anymore,,, 55" is not a home theater experience,,, 55" is just a TV,,,, 65" is much closer to a HT experience without going to a projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/19514993

DAVYO,

tell us after 30 days or so what your impressions are (Plasma vs. LCd),would be nice to hear it from a LCd lover .

Yes,,,, I will do that,,,, as an LCD lover I am interested to see if I can adapt to plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19515635

Wait...Danyo, your HAPPY with a tv set??

THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY!

Just kidding, im glad your happy with the set.

Very funny !!!!!!!

Yes,,, I do go thru quite a few TV's,,, but hey,, I had my Vizio 55 inch LED for almost a year now and still LOVE it,,,,, Im not even sure if Im gong to sell it,,, I might put it in my bathroom

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Congrats davyo, the 65S2 is a nice large plasma, however... Most people who go from the Panny S2 to the Samsung C550 plasma say that the PQ is quite a bit better. Not trying to burst your bubble, just passing along some info from the plasma side for you to consider

Blacks are better, and they don't rise on the Sammy so that is a major plus right there. (and that matters a lot if you are in a bat cave)

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/19517802

Congrats davyo, the 65S2 is a nice large plasma, however... Most people who go from the Panny S2 to the Samsung C550 plasma say that the PQ is quite a bit better. Not trying to burst your bubble, just passing along some info from the plasma side for you to consider

Blacks are better, and they don't rise on the Sammy so that is a major plus right there. (and that matters a lot if you are in a bat cave)

Yea,, the Samsung plasma was on my shopping list and I do like the Samsungs plasma picture,,,, but Sammy only makes a 63 incher and I was set on getting at least 65 inches,,,, plus the 65" S2 was cheaper.

On a side note, I spent some time looking at the Samsung 65" LCD (I forget the model number) and I was not impressed at all, the price tag on the Sammy 65" LCD and the PQ made me not even interested.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Davyo, did you notice a change in black level from the S1 to the S2? Is it improved? What else about the picture quality has changed from the last year to this year?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19517887

Yea,, the Samsung plasma was on my shopping list and I do like the Samsungs plasma picture,,,, but Sammy only makes a 63 incher and I was set on getting at least 65 inches,,,, plus the 65" S2 was cheaper.

On a side note, I spent some time looking at the Samsung 65" LCD (I forget the model number) and I was not impressed at all, the price tag on the Sammy 65" LCD and the PQ made me not even interested.

Cheers

Davyo

I was about to recommend the Samsung 8000 plasma, but after a quick price check I saw that you probably got your S2 for considerably less money. I keep hearing good things about the AR filter on the Sammy, but I have yet to see one under the bright lights at a retail store.

Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller /forum/post/19518745

I was about to recommend the Samsung 8000 plasma, but after a quick price check I saw that you probably got your S2 for considerably less money. I keep hearing good things about the AR filter on the Sammy, but I have yet to see one under the bright lights at a retail store.

Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks

And yes,, the Samsung 8000, really good AR filter and the picture is really nice,, so nice in fact it has fooled me a few times into thinking it was an LCD,,,, and yes,, quite a bit more mony than the Panny 65 incher I just purchased.

Cheers

Davyo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts