AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a pair of Aerial 7B's, I loved the sound of the speakers, but I couldn't afford to buy he matching center and rears, I looked for over a year on audiogon and other sights for a pair of 5B's and a matching center to no availe, I could not afford the price of new, also, I had to use a mac 352 to push them and would have needed another amp for center and rears, I kept following all the glowing owner reveiws of the salk songtowers, so I took a chance, I sold the aerials and the mac and bought a nad 775 hd and the songtowers, center and r1 rears in the guitar burst finish, the proceeds from selling the aerials and the mac covered the new speakers and receiver, also I will be adding a rythmic f12 se sub to the mix, it took awhile to have the salks built, but it was definitly worth the wait, the finish on the salks was amazing, although they don't play as deep as the aerials, the mids and highs are as sweet, so adding a sub would be recomended, I just trhought I would pass this along in case others were it the same delema.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/18367116

Mudslide would be the man to inquire of. He owns Aerials and has heard almost every Salk speaker (if not all of them). Give him a shout.

I think the OP is not inquiring, Brandon, but opining. And I'm in thorough agreement with him. I can't wait for the day to dawn when I can ditch the Aerials and fill up my house with Salk speakers. But then, I know you know how it is with us po' folk. Gotta have patience.

·
Registered
330 Posts
mudslide, how do you feel about the salk ht3? I fell in love with the aerial 20t, but I will never be able to afford them. Seems the ht3 is *close* to the same specs. Could you give me an idea of how they compare?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 /forum/post/18369380

mudslide, how do you feel about the salk ht3? I fell in love with the aerial 20t, but I will never be able to afford them. Seems the ht3 is *close* to the same specs. Could you give me an idea of how they compare?

Hi jparker36.

Unfortunately, the HT3 is one of the few Salk loudspeakers I haven't auditioned. But I feel assured that I would know the sound of it. Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy have a purpose in their designs that reflect what they consider to be good sound. All of the Salk offerings that I've heard share this Salk sound. It's clean, smooth, and airy, with a wonderfully presented midrange delivery. Bass and perhaps overall smoothness will vary with the model.

My experience with Aerials is quite different. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful speakers, and I really like mine (7B's). But as a cohort of mine once said, a guy who used to own Aerials, they can sound as though someone put socks in the tweeters. Aerials, in my opinion, don't have the clarity of the Salks at the top end. (Hard to believe given the Aerial titanium tweeters.) Know though that I grew up on JBL's and horns and bright speakers. I've become accustomed to high frequency clarity. Reserved-but-warm, English-style speakers leave me dry. Aerials tend to split the difference, IMHO. The mids, bass, smoothness, musicality, coherence, and lots more make the Aerials quite desirable. But they can't quite deliver the top end like Salks can.

In the end, I think it boils down to what you've read a thousand times...loudspeaker preference is subjective. And specs simply do not tell the whole story about a speaker. (There are lots of non-resonant, flat frequency responding, nice looking speakers out there.) You simply cannot go wrong with either brand, but......you need to choose. In the $$$ realm of the 20T's, a great speaker, for me...there would be no contest. I'd take the less expensive SoundScape (HT4) anytime, anyplace. It is the one and only speaker to ever COMPLETELY disappear in spite of my attempts to be analytical and judgmental during the lengthy audition. YMMV.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide /forum/post/18367244

I think the OP is not inquiring, Brandon, but opining. And I'm in thorough agreement with him. I can't wait for the day to dawn when I can ditch the Aerials and fill up my house with Salk speakers. But then, I know you know how it is with us po' folk. Gotta have patience.

Sorry about that; you're right. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that response. I was trying to have a conversation with the wife and forum post. Bad idea!

On a different note, comparison, RJ.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/18371072

Sorry about that; you're right. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that response. I was trying to have a conversation with the wife and forum post. Bad idea!

On a different note, comparison, RJ.

Tsk tsk! you should know by now that multitasking when the wife is talking gets you in trouble.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoggniklat /forum/post/18371349

Tsk tsk! you should know by now that multitasking when the wife is talking gets you in trouble.

My wife doesn't allow me to multi-task if she's one of the "tasks".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts