AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Key notes from my discussions with Mitsubishi.

They have introduced a line of HDTV's, with ASTC & QAM cable tuners (for unencoded cable HDTV), that will use their proprietary version of 1394, called HAVi. It uses a GUI and produces an icon for every piece of gear in your HT system. The non-1394 products (receiver, DVD, VCR, etc.) are controlled by IR, from the HAVi network.

One of the advantages of HAVi (over standard 1394) is the ability to learn new functions & capabilities, using a memory module, which the new 1394 sets are equipped for. The new HDTV's will be available before the end of this year, probably for the holiday shopping season.

The technology in these sets will be the basis for the vaunted Promise module. The Promise module will be "less than $1000, installed". The Promise module will include an OTA DTV tuner, QAM cable tuner, 1394 w/limited HAVi and 5C. Whew. The only thing it won't do is learn new functions, like mentioned above. The Promise module will be available no later than Q1 2002, and maybe sooner.

They have introduced a new DVHS VCR for use with these sets, and the Promise module. The only HD interconnect is: you guessed it, 1394 HAVi. It is also a SVHS VCR and will sell for $999.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
unbelievable! thanks for posting that. i was thinking Q3-Q4 2002. but Q1!!! mits is awesome. they have been the leader for consumer level big screens for years and this is exactly why.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If it is due out that soon it would be prudent for some like me to just sit tight and not buy any receiver for now. I have been looking for a cheap DTC-100 and waiting would be darned smart.

Now, anyone know if Mitsubishi's bought from retailers who must provide after-sale service will be supported on this? In SC, Mits can't (won't) service the sets...the retailer must provide that which includes Sears and independent stores. One would hope so but... ?

Bruce

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdenman:
If it is due out that soon it would be prudent for some like me to just sit tight and not buy any receiver for now. I have been looking for a cheap DTC-100 and waiting would be darned smart.
Therein lies the problem with this whole HDTV connectivity battle. Just when the industry needs a boost from Christmas sales, people will wait for the smoke to clear before purchasing an STB. I, for one, am really getting fed up with this whole issue. All of these companies want you to go out and buy an STB now, but not word one is said about provisions for you to be able to use that STB six months from now. I would really like to pick up an STB now, especially with the addition of HDnet to DirecTv, but am I spending $600-700 for something I wont be able to use in six months?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.