AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, talk about rich looking blacks and shadow detail...this one is out there where the buses don't run! Nice looking reference standard for D-Theater and a crazy ass flick to boot.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I agree, it looked pretty good. I think the DVD is pretty good too.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at scenes in this one today again and I can't help but to be amazed. This one I think could be the best of them all in terms of shadow detail. I know I raved about Spy Game last week, but this one is full of eye candy. The cinematography is spectacular to begin with and putting this on D-Theater was a stroke of good fortune as well. It's breathtaking in its vividness. I recall the DVD as being outstanding as well so we have a superb source master that has generated this visual tour de force quite well.

Those aerial shots of Victorian London with the red sun setting in the horizon is to die for. The detail of the cobblestone streets is extraordinary!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
You guys sound like you have stronger stomachs than me. I was actually glad that I watched this one on a portable DVD player with a small screen during some of the bloodier scenes. I don't think it would have bothered me as much if it weren't based on a true story, though. I wouldn't consider this a good movie to show most of my guests, but there are people I could show it to.

Mike, you have convinced me, though. I'll have to check this one out. I just wish I could rent it.

Also, have you tried running it through your HTPC at 1080p? I haven't got that setup, yet.

--Darin

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
You guys sound like you have stronger stomachs than me. I was actually glad that I watched this one on a portable DVD player with a small screen during some of the bloodier scenes. I don't think it would have bothered me as much if it weren't based on a true story, though. I wouldn't consider this a good movie to show most of my guests, but there are people I could show it to.

Mike, you have convinced me, though. I'll have to check this one out. I just wish I could rent it.

Also, have you tried running it through your HTPC at 1080p? I haven't got that setup, yet.

--Darin
Hi Darin:

My HTPC won't handle what's needed to make the conversion from 1080i to 1080p on the fly. I'm not aware of too many that can to be frank with you. If I had Jamoka Joe here to help me, maybe I would go out and build myself a new powerhouse HTPC with 2.4 gig processor, Windows XP and then all the tools necessary to do this. As it stands now, I would rather keep my Win 98SE on my existing 733 Mhz HTPC that is tweaked ot perfection and go out and get a STB solution for 1080p like Vigatech, Faroudja or Leeza. I know that's probably three to four times more expensive, but I just don't have the stomach to start from scratch where my HTPC is concerned. Now, if someone wants to build it for me and get it plug and play upon delivery to my humble abode -- let's talk! I have not heard from anyone though that this is so simple as to just getting a more powerful HTPC -- then there's D-Theater to consider on top of that.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
I looked at scenes in this one today again and I can't help but to be amazed. This one I think could be the best of them all in terms of shadow detail. I know I raved about Spy Game last week, but this one is full of eye candy. The cinematography is spectacular to begin with and putting this on D-Theater was a stroke of good fortune as well. It's breathtaking in its vividness. I recall the DVD as being outstanding as well so we have a superb source master that has generated this visual tour de force quite well.

Those aerial shots of Victorian London with the red sun setting in the horizon is to die for. The detail of the cobblestone streets is extraordinary!
MikeM,

I just finished seeing this one, and totally agree with your comments. The attention to detail is amazing, and none of it is lost in the D-Theater transfer. It's just too bad that all this beauty is lavished on such a hideous story. Actually my problem with this movie was not so much the gruesomeness, but rather the many confusing elements (e.g., absinthe- and hashish-induced hallucinations, the Masons, the Elephant Man).

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Just watched this DVD tonight and have to agree with all comments. Personally, I don't care much for the cinematography of all the dark scenes but I did perform the THx video calibration and this, I believed helped keep the detail in the shadows. I think what would have helped the DVD would have been to have it be anamorphic to simulate a higher line density and smoother image but for DVD's it still wasn't bad, just sit farther away. Now I'd bet that D-Theater version was very clean, even in HBO HD it may be pretty clean. I'll wait to see it then as there is no D-Theater in my future.

I agree the historical accuracy in some parts was a bit twisted. I just figured it was some creative license of Hollyweird again. I'll watch the second DVD to see what other stuff is there tomorrow before I have to return it to Hollywood Video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.