AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that overall, this is the best movie version yet about the "Jack The Ripper" serial murders. It is well photographed, the sets are historically accurate, and there are some thought-provoking moments (I've long been fascinated by the Ripper and other select historical events like the Titanic sinking).

The film does present what is becoming one of the more popular theories about these unsolved murders. It is however one that many citizens of Britain find offensive. Enough said about that.

Even though I believe everyone knows that this is a story based on some particularly gruesome murders of prostitutes, I'll say it: This movie has almost explicit sex, murder, total frontal nudity, and completely explicit drug use - it is not for kids. It's one of those films that stretches the current bounds of an "R" rating - I would not want to see an unrated version.

I can think of several actors whom I would rather have seen in the male lead other than Johnny Depp. He is too young, too short, and too contemporary in his attitudes and dialogue to convincingly portray a 19th Century Police Inspector. However, I was all too ready to believe he was a major drug user, even though I still find it not credible that a Police Inspector would be such. (I have probably been predjudiced against him since seeing an interview about his role in the film Blow where he enthusiasticly talked about George Jung, the cocaine smuggler he portrayed in that film.)

Aside from Depp's performance and whomever it was who made the mistake of casting him in the role, there isn't much to criticize about From Hell. If serial murderers hold any fascination for you, you'll probably like this film.

Technically this is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio with both DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks. There is a second disk entirely composed of Special Features which I did not have time to view. I did watch the over 20 deleted scenes and the alternate ending on the first disk, and IMHO the edit was well done, nothing to be gained by including any of them in the film. I did not notice any Edge Enhancement but frankly most scenes are set at night and quite a few in fog - you would not be able to tell anyway.

Reccomended as a renter.

Gary

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The supplements on disc 2 contain quite a lot on the actual murders, scenes, victims and suspects. There is also an easter egg (highlight one of the knives in the first menu on disc 2) that takes you to a TV show on the book (Jack The Ripper: The Final Solution) that inspired the graphic novel (From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell), which this film was based on. There is also a neat little piece on the history of absinthe.

·
Registered
828 Posts
FWIW... BestBuy appears to have this at the best price currently at $19.99. I might swing over at lunch and pick it up. I think this one might be a keeper for me.

Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Absolutely superb DVD! Very well made movie and great transfer and sound. Bravo!

The only thing which may be negative for some LCD or DLP projector owners is that movie is very dark and may not render that well. On CRT proj, on other hand, it looks splendid!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Wow. Short thread on a good film. I just got around to renting this, and wish I'd bought it since it has so much extra stuff. I totally missed the 'alternate ending'.

There are so few horror films that are really done well. I think a really good horror flick takes you inside the mind of the killer/demon/whatever, lets you see the crimes from their perspective. Elements of suprise and suspense are important too of course. From Hell also really rounded out a number of small characters such as the sergeant and the stagecoach driver that led to a more immersive, complete story.

There were a number of very freaky elements too, like the triple-trepanning and the killer's transition to limp bizkit mode (black eyes). The life of the whores was portrayed in a creepy, very unsanitized way that was, if I can use the word here, refreshing.

I also liked Depp in the lead role. It's in some ways the conventional flawed hero cop/private eye with unconventional techniques part, but Depp fills it with an honesty that few other actors could have managed. He also provides a counterpoint to both the aristocracy and the rabble that a native brit or an older person would have had a hard time with, IMO.

Check it out if you haven't.

M

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I picked this up at Walmarts for $14.95 With others I now have this up for sale at amazon amonst about 50 other DVD discs, I have sold a few and sent them right out to get a good feedback to be able to charge more than the bottom prices.

I can't rent movies because I don't own a car. I have to go with what I find out about them through this forum and what I read from the IMDb and reveiews on amazon, and other review sites. I am certainly not hurting for money, but I am sick and tired of making bad choices like the 'From Hell.

I wanted another The Ninth Gate which I have watched over 50 times now. Ever since the elusive Sutter Home first expained the movie in an exciting thread, even our moderator Larry Davis took an active part in this movie thread.

Sutter Home where are you?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hob,

From Hell and The Ninth Gate are very different types of films.

From Hell is a historical drama, and one that takes rather too much license with actual events for my taste. Never-the-less it is a well crafted film and entertaining for what it is - I stand by my assertion that it's the best "Jack the Ripper" film yet. But realize what that means - it's the best depiction of the true-life grisly serial murders of prostitutes.

The Ninth Gate is an entire other genre, speculative horror fiction with a supernatural theme. It is also a well made film, but you cannot compare the two movies in any other detail other than craftsmanship. For one thing, the scriptwriter for The Ninth Gate need only convince you that with a momentary suspension of disbelief you can enjoy yourself immensely - he has no burden of historical accuracy to uphold, and no duty to do other than entertain the audience.

In the end, the only similarity is the two films have the same male lead - and good actors attempt to find very different roles as they go from film to film, to demonstrate their range as an actor. Whether or not Depp is a good actor I haven't decided - I did not care for his performance in From Hell nor do I agree with even casting someone of his small stature and age in that role.

If you are fond of films such as The Ninth Gate, which I consider to be a Horror Thriller with a Supernatural theme, then I suggest the following list (try any you have not seen):

The Sixth Sense (1999)

The Shining (1980)

The Others (2001)

The Exorcist (1973)

The Birds (1963)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

Frailty (2001)

The Wicker Man (1973)

Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)

From Beyond (1986)

Regards,

Gary

·
Registered
714 Posts
I thought FROM HELL was brilliant ... I absolutely loved it. It's probably my favorite movie of last year. It's right up there anyways. The sets were incredible and while Johnny Depp was not a great choice, I thought he did a good job. My biggest problem was with Heather Graham as Mary Kelly. Completely miscast. But since the rest of the movie was so excellent, I found it fairly easy to overlook this misstep. 2 thumbs WAY UP !!!

Moore - While you'll find this forum very active in most every topic/category, movie reviews are not this forums strong point. Countless reviews come and go without anyone ever responding to them and I have no idea why (since the rest of this forum is so excellent with quality people talking about film/hardware etc). If it's movie reviews you want or discussion on current/recent movies, I would suggest dvdfile.com, it's pretty active, though the crowd is a little less ... sophisticated?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Crow331,

Just curious, but would you like to see this forum re-integrated back into DVD and LD Software? Sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea to branch off.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Honestly I think we would probably get more responses. I hardly ever check in movie reviews anymore because I know hardly anyone ever posts or responds here. But then again, a lot of these posts have many "views" but few responses, so maybe there is no solution. For whatever the reason, this forum is just not active in movie reviews.

For example this thread. It's been around for months with over 330 views and it only had a couple responses up until a few days ago, many of the posts here are that way.

I can't remember what it was like when we had them all together. Maybe we should get some more input from those who do still come in here to read? Thanks for the response Larry :)

Any more opinions out there?

·
Registered
937 Posts
There is some overlap between the Movie Reviews and DVD & LD SW forums. Not sure if the distinction betwen them is too fine or if one is simply a sub-category of the other. It doesn't really bother me, but Crow's bottom line is correct -- not many posts here.

Of course, there's no assurance that integrating the two will result differently. Perhaps a poll might be appropriate. Just a thought...

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Larry,

My feeling is that it would be a mistake to recombine them. Reviews are for people who want to express an opinion on a movie, software is to discuss the format and quality. Not to mention, reviews should be independent of media - theatre, broadcast, DVD, DVHS, LD, VHS, etc. It seems very clear to me.

I guess people on this forum just aren't terribly crazy about reviewing films, which is OK. There are review sites all over. But it is fun to discuss films with people you 'know'.

Please keep the areas separate. I'd hate to see the blurring of tastes - e.g. "I didn't like this movie because there was too much EE and the sound was stereo only".

Gary,

I'd add Stigmata to your list of decent supernatural horror/thrillers. Excellent points about how From Hell is a very different movie.

M

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am looking into the issue now. Please no more posts on the re-integration subject in this thread. I will post a new update asap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.