AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man did I love this movie ... it was fuc*ing brilliant!!!

The entire film was amazing. Johnny Depp did a great job and Heather Graham (who I think is normally a bad actress) also did a good job and was surprisingly effective. The whole cast was great actually. What a film! I can't believe these are the same 2 brothers who did "Dead Presidents". This film looked amazing! Very well written ... a very interesting theory behind one of the greatest unsolved murder cases in world history. I

loved it all. I give it a big, big thumbs up.

Word of warning though, this movie is GRUESOME! I can't believe what they got past the MPAA and still got an 'R' rating. This is definitely NOT for the squeamish!

I'm curious to see what others think, because some of my friends loved it and others thought it was just "OK" ... I can't believe that I'm the only one who thought it was brilliant.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I thought the film was stylishly done. It kept me riveted to the screen from the inception. I had a hard time understanding Depp's and Graham's English accents but not with the English actors. Don't we take Ian Holm for granted? How many varied and exemplary performances has this venerable English actor done for us.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The film was quite good- the first time i saw it when it was called Sleepy Hollow.

On the plus side- Cinematography, lighting, camera movements, well- basically- the technical side of this film was close to being flawless. (Sleepy Hollow comparisons aside)

Robby Coltrane-excellent as the police inspector (better than his performance in "Nuns on the Run"

Johnny Depp- walks through this role- excellent cockney accent, yet proving again that he is the Lon Chaney of this generation

The bad?

The Story. I know that the Hughes Brothers based this on a graphic novel that was massive in length- but come on- they threw everything including the kitchen sink into the plot. TOO MUCH UNNECCESSARY exposition. The film should have been about thirty minutes shorter.

The difference between a novel (albeit a graphic novel) and a film- is that the film should express the general feeling of the characters in a shorter amount of time than the novel.

Because of this- the film's pacing is completely off. Dont get me wrong- a few of the murder set pieces in the film are well done- but as the film progresses, they become fillers to boriing bits of distracting exposition.

I was impressed by the film for the first thirty minutes- the Hughes brothers use Hitchcock's famous conecpt of "its more effective if you dont see it." Murders happen in darkness, the shimmering of the knife blade- well illustrate Hitch's theory. But as the film continues- the gore seems to become more excessive. Dont get me wrong- i have no problems with gore- but- the film seemed to muddle and depend on it for shock value (re: the final murder).

Spoilers Ahead (if you havent seen the film- quit reading)

A common theory about the fascination of Jack the Ripper is that he was never caught. His identity remains a mystery even to this day. (many suspects range from royalty to peasants) This film ignores that- and shows us his face. AAAAGGH!!! Regardless of the graphic novel- the reasons Jack kills in the film is extremely flimsy and weak. Can anyone say, "gimmick" to solve already weak police procedural?

Ian Holm is excellent though- the madness in his eyes during the final murder- wow. But the plot contrivance of the Mason conspiracy reminded me of that episode of the Simpson's with Patrick Stewart- (Homer becomes a Mason)

All in all- big disappointment.

All style- no substance.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Finally went to see this today.

I usually enjoy Depp's work and this is no exception.

Certainly not for the squeamish, this could have been rated NC-17.

I too thought it could have been a bit shorter, perhaps 15 minutes...but, the acting was good throughout, the mood is proper, and it's very much as I'd imagine a movie based on something penned by Alan Moore.

Very interesting twist on the story (or history) of Jack the Ripper.

I'd have payed 9 bucks to see this and not have felt cheated, so a matinee was a bargain!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.