Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some exciting new hardware for HDTV was observed today-

The most spectacular display was the latest in D-ILA projection display demo. The system showed a very high quality image on a theater size 16X9 screen about 30 ft. wide. The image was completely free from the LCD and DLP cross hatch. The horizontal resolution was speced at 1365 pixels. They also announced, but did not show a projector on the next generation in HDTV projectors that would exceed for the first time, 1920 pixels. They call it Q-XGA. boasting over 2200 H pixels. The image I saw today on the D-ILA was absolutely the best I have ever seen anywhere. For the home, they displayed and demoed two D-ILA projectors starting at $13,000 MSRP and capable of 1365 H pixels. One demo had true HD and the other was DVD. There was a huge difference in PQ between the two with the HDTV image clearly out shining the DVD, both on a 120" screen.

I also asked their reps about the problem I have observed mentioned many times on this forum about some D-ILA images not looking as good as they should. Here is what I was told-- All D-ILA projectors are set at the factory for Computer graphics gamma and edge enhancement. Unless you specifically ordered the D-ILA with a Home theater gamma setup you won't get a true CRT look and feel to the color balance and sharpness. It will look unnaturally over edge enhanced. JVC now has a factory mod that can make the projector look more natural for film, and home theater movies. Frank- You should check this out with your JVC contacts.

I also saw many HDTV upconverters that were quite superb and at much more reasonable prices, eg. $20,000 with near transparent conversion of 480i to 720p to 1080i back to 480i. With many video producers tapped out in equipment expenses, shooting with 16x9 SD digital cameras and upconverting to HD for air will certainly increase the amount of material available in very high quality SD upconverts. While not true HD this process does preserve the 550 line H res that is done by these cameras as opposed to being cut back to 300 lines of NTSC broadcast.

In general, HDTV is becomming very commonplace with most manufacturers. Widescreen is nearly 100% saturated throughout the NAB floor now. It is a sign that manufacturers are taking HD as a given that all stations will be moving in that direction, however, I did see one small booth advertising data casting today. (Note: I have only covered one location of the show. )

Other hardware- I saw some HD consumer recorders too. See my posts in the HDTV Recorders section.

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
In general, HDTV is becomming very commonplace with most manufacturers. Widescreen is nearly 100% saturated throughout the NAB floor now. It is a sign that manufacturers are taking HD as a given that all stations will be moving in that direction
Very good news. Again, thanks for the report.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks, Don...and please post again soon!

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Biggest possible thumbs up!! Don, you're the man. Keep the reports coming please.

Kent

------------------

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Terrific news that widescreen and HD are assumed to be the future formats. Many thanks for being our eyes and ears at the show.

Curtis

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent more time today looking at more monitors. I stick by my earlier report that the D-ILA was the best looking HDTV picture this year. It is the closest to the CRT color naturalness and has the edge sharp convergence of a print photograph. Today I saw some DLP from Christie, Sharp and Sanyo LCD and several others like $Barco$ upper end and these all took second place at best.

Did not see anything exciting in the computer recording and HDTV tuners. This technology is just not catching hold yet, it seems. By contrast, DVCPRO HD seems to be real popular for low cost HDTV and D5 and HDCAM is the standard, same as last year just a ton more of it.

Editing systems are also showing up with advertised HDTV capability now. Everybody is adding this capability to their latest version NLE software systems.

------------------

Don Landis

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know if it is a NEW HDTV or not, but in the "DTV Store" they were displaying a 16x9 version of the Sony 36XBR400 called the KD34XBR2 (in fact, the first day, it was mislabeled as a 36XBR400!) Priced at $4000, the CRT screen is basically the same size of the 16x9 image that is displayed in an 36XBR400 when in hiscan mode.

And not that I need to back up Don, but NAB is really saturated with HD. I can not believe how many HD displays are here. Not even a year ago there were 16x9 monitors prevalent- but with lots of streched images... now everything is truly 16x9, and plasmas outnumber others 10 to 1.

I was really excited to see Final Cut Pro editing HD on a desktop!

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a video tape editor. I went to NAB for the first time in 13 years to window shop for linear and

nonlinear HD editing systems. There were many offerings to see and evaluate. Both high-end and

so called low-end systems produce very high quality high definition material. The only difference

between the expensive and relatively inexpensive - by broadcast standards - systems is the speed

at which they operate. Inexpensive nonlinear desktop HD editing systems take longer to process the

final edited material.

To make a long story short we're "In Kansas". High definition cameras, video switchers, tape decks,

video monitors, character generators, and dolby AC-3 audio boards are now in place to produce more

HD programming. Broadcast equipment manufacturers have done an outstanding job of making high

definition tools available to program producers. In my opinion, "THE PUSH" to get more HD material out

there to consumers is starting and I'm really excited about it.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Don, did you see the NEC projector demo. Our company was a bit impresed with the JVC but were blown away by the NEC. The significant point of the NEC is that they matched it to a Sony first generation HD CRT display.

I agree HDTV is alive and well. My impression was it's not an issue anymore, meaning "sure it does 1080". A lot of this stuff is the same price as digital SDTV equipment was 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glimmie-

I saw so many monitor and projector systems but one thing is certain- The JVC D-ILA was the best. The reason I say this is because it had the same brightness as the LCD's, Did not have any cross hatch or visible pixels as did all the others. It had the edge sharpness of the DLP and the color purity of the CRT's. Plasma's are great but they all show a maxed out res that is visibly coarse as does the low end LCD's. The LCD's are not true color and are severly pixelated. The tube CRT's, are smaller and show the coarse shadow mask. The final reason I put the JVC on top was it's price tag. It had more bang for the buck! With all that said, let me also add that I am NOT a proponent of JVC products but I give credit where it's due and they not only demonstrated the best projected image at the show but also were bold enough to show two consumer level HDTV VCR's. (See my posts in the HDTV recorder sections.)

------------------

Don Landis

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Much of the production and post hardware and software is coming with a matter of fact that HDTV is here to stay. I agree that this is a very good sign that more HDTVprogramming is soon being considered and will be made available. The one area I found HDTV lacking was the outside display of mobile production trucks. All were SD only except one that was equipped with an HD capable DDR and an HDTV upconverter. The rest were all SD (betacam SP analog) only.

Oh yes, Unlike last year, there was a clear lack of signage for COFDM or 8VSB. Guess the debate is over!

That's it for me for NAB2001. I'm off to Utah and the North rim of the Grand Canyon the next two days to shoot some more wide screen stuff (not HDTV) with my new 16X9 camera before returning home.

------------------

Don Landis

[This message has been edited by Don Landis (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
The most spectacular display was the latest in D-ILA projection display demo. The system showed a very high quality image on a theater size 16X9 screen about 30 ft. wide. The image was completely free from the LCD and DLP cross hatch. The horizontal resolution was speced at 1365 pixels. They also announced, but did not show a projector on the next generation in HDTV projectors that would exceed for the first time, 1920 pixels. They call it Q-XGA. boasting over 2200 H pixels. The image I saw today on the D-ILA was absolutely the best I have ever seen anywhere. For the home, they displayed and demoed two D-ILA projectors starting at $13,000 MSRP and capable of 1365 H pixels. One demo had true HD and the other was DVD. There was a huge difference in PQ between the two with the HDTV image clearly out shining the DVD, both on a 120" screen.

I also asked their reps about the problem I have observed mentioned many times on this forum about some D-ILA images not looking as good as they should. Here is what I was told-- All D-ILA projectors are set at the factory for Computer graphics gamma and edge enhancement. Unless you specifically ordered the D-ILA with a Home theater gamma setup you won't get a true CRT look and feel to the color balance and sharpness. It will look unnaturally over edge enhanced. JVC now has a factory mod that can make the projector look more natural for film, and home theater movies. Frank- You should check this out with your JVC contacts.
Congratulations, DON! You have finally seen the light....The D-ILA light that is. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I am well versed on all things D-ILA and have been aware of their calibration service for some time. This information was gone over some time ago in the digital projector section of the AVSForum. Maybe you ought to start spending some time over there on the bright side!

Thanks for thinking of me. By the way, Don, I own three, that's right, three D-ILA projectors and two of them have been properly calibrated for home theater use. You can call me a D-ILA addict.

Thanks for the reports from the NAB, Don....

------------------

Frank...

Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
The one area I found HDTV lacking was the outside display of mobile production trucks. All were SD only except one that was equipped with an HD capable DDR and an HDTV upconverter. The rest were all SD (betacam SP analog) only.
Mark Shubin (television engineer and author of Mark's Monday Memos) says there were at least two HDTV-capable trucks at the show. They are: All Mobile Video's HD-Too (probably the finest HD production truck in the world -- and the biggest truck at NAB)and WRAL-DT's HD-1 (formerly HD Vision's HDV-5).

In my opinion, this is even more good HDTV news.

------------------

Rich Peterson

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Are either one of these trucks 720p so they could be used for Monday Night Football?

Are there any 720p trucks available right now?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
These are not 720P trucks. Mark Shubin says there's only one 720P truck

of which he is aware. That one is now owned by Ackerley Broadcasting and lives in the Pacific northwest.

------------------

Rich Peterson

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.