AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new to the game, just got into components after finding the HTIB alternative thread. Current set-up:

Onkyo 574 Receiver

Bic H-100 Sub

Athena B1.2 Left/Right

Athena C1.2 Center

some el-cheapos for rears

I was coming up from an old sony HTIB, i couldn't even tell you what the model was, but needless to say, i am sooo glad i was swayed to go components, cause guess what? I have the itch to upgrade already, and have rediscovered my dvd collection. I have my tax refund to blow on something fun, and i have decided to blow it on new front row.

I am happy w/the sub (shakes walls enough for me) and the receiver is pretty good. Even the left right are decent (considering the previous comparison w/HTIB speakers). But i think the center could be better. I am looking to therefore get a new front row L/C/R so i can keep them timber matched. I just don't want to replace the athenas w/out having a noticable difference for my budget. 500 bucks. Almost all Comcast HD channel watching or HT, 80% vs 20% gaming & music. So, i have been reading, and reading some more, and guess i am wanting few suggestions for upgrades. I am considering PSBs, image line with B15s, possibly B25s, and C40 center, or the Elemental Design A6-6T6 MTMs for all three L/C/R. Anything else i should consider, or any comparions between the two. I love my new hobby, and can quickly see how many have been hooked. I will move the Athenas B1.2 for rears, and just sell of the center, so no remorse for previous buy...just upgrading itch hit quicker than i expected. No worries. Thanks for suggestions and all the help so far, AVS forum is great. As long as you don't mind getting sucked into new ways to spend your money...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additionally, is 3 of the same speaker L/C/R better than a center w/2 bookshelves, or does that again depend on the speaker? Again, i appreciate any knowledge comments to help steer me into making an informed upgrade, and not a sideways or ho-hum upgrade. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked at the AV123 series, in fact i was choosing between the x-sub and the bic, and went with the bic because it was supposed to be better for HT, and the x-sub for music. Problem with the AVs is that they are out of stock.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy25 /forum/post/12984388

Problem with the AVs is that they are out of stock.

Patients

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, are you saying that AV series are much better than the PSBs or EDs i was looking at. So much so, that i would be better off waiting for them?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy25 /forum/post/12984537

Well, are you saying that AV series are much better than the PSBs or EDs i was looking at. So much so, that i would be better off waiting for them?

Again I state, "IMO this will be an up-grade in sound quality over your current rig."

Never auditioned the ED's, and the Image series is OK. IMO nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i have no doubt a lot of things will be an upgrade from my current entry level set-up. What i want, no need to know, is what'll give me that wow this is sooo much better feeling for about 500 bucks for a new front row...and i have some "patience", well at least enough to go through helpful posts, correcting spelling errors not so helpful...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/12984652

Sick speakers?

Opps sorry

Patience

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven /forum/post/12984615

Again I state, "IMO this will be an up-grade in sound quality over your current rig."

Never auditioned the ED's, and the Image series is OK. IMO nothing to write home about.

Mazer you are an AV123 "fanboy"...Most people in the forums will disagree with you regarding PSB Image being nothing to write home about. B15, T65 and T55 maybe. But the T45, B25, and the centers are probably some of the best buys in their price range; many reviews to back this up, and many satisfied users.

AV123 are great speakers, and you probably better than anyone else in this forum know this, but there are better, as there are others better than PSB.

Your turn to call me a PSB fanboy...The X Series is nothing to write home about either. You wouldn't write home either about the PSB Alpha, but their new version already has more positive reviews than AV123 X's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i actually am an hour outside of Chicago, so i can probably go audtion the PSBs to make a decision on those, not possible for X-Series. Both comparable though? And would it make more sense to do 3 B25s, or to use 3 of the PSBs center? As i can see you are familiar w/PSBs?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy25 /forum/post/12985147

Well, i actually am an hour outside of Chicago, so i can probably go audtion the PSBs to make a decision on those, not possible for X-Series. Both comparable though? And would it make more sense to do 3 B25s, or to use 3 of the PSBs center? As i can see you are familiar w/PSBs?

They also have Monitor Audio, so check their bronze series. And, I just found out that Saturday Audio just got a few Monitor Audio Platinum for demos, they are out of your budget, but just check them out and tell us what you though of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts