AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Oppo BDP-83 for playing discs (and it's ideal for wife and kids). My PC is for streaming: Netflix "instant movies", DVD, BD and my music collection.

Is there any frontend software I can use that does all this, and can all be controlled by a programmable universal remote control?

My goal is to rip all my audio CDs to FLAC and iso's of all my DVD and Blu-ray movies (space is no issue). So far I've been using Vista Media Center with the "MyMovies" plugin when I want to watch the iso's I rip. I open Internet Explorer when I want to watch Netflix. And I open Foobar2000 when I want to listen to music. In the HTPCs particular environment, this inconvenient for me and impossible for my wife

· Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded /forum/post/16843968

I have an Oppo BDP-83 for playing discs (and it's ideal for wife and kids). My PC is for streaming: Netflix "instant movies", DVD, BD and my music collection.

Is there any frontend software I can use that does all this, and can all be controlled by a programmable universal remote control?

My goal is to rip all my audio CDs to FLAC and iso's of all my DVD and Blu-ray movies (space is no issue). So far I've been using Vista Media Center with the "MyMovies" plugin when I want to watch the iso's I rip. I open Internet Explorer when I want to watch Netflix. And I open Foobar2000 when I want to listen to music. In the HTPCs particular environment, this inconvenient for me and impossible for my wife

Much of this can be achieved using Media Center and plugins. Media Center now has a Netflix add-on, movies in DVD and Blu-R can be ripped to HDD and played in Media Center with "Mymovies" or even better "Media Browser." To play flac in Media Center all you need is a codec download.

Media center is easy to control with a universal Harmoney remote as long as you have an IR receiver.

learn more about the capabilities of Media Center. http://thegreenbutton.com/

I hope I answered some of your questions

· Registered
112 Posts
I have a question, Which is the best IR receiver to use with MCE? I want to use my harmony 550 remote, but at the present time I do not have a IR receiver built into my computer.

My new system will not have a serial port, so that option is out.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
16,136 Posts
Do you mean bypassing Windows Audio Engine by "bitperfect audio"?

· Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded /forum/post/16845807

how can I configure VMC to only send bitperfect, unprocessed audio and video to my receiver?

this is achieved with passthrough digital audio via optical or coax. If your computer currently doesn't support this hook-up you can install a new soundcard.

Another option is digital audio passthrough via HDMI if your receiver has this option.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16845835

Do you mean bypassing Windows Audio Engine by "bitperfect audio"?

yeah, i guess bitperfect applies only to audio, but i'd also like to bitstream the video... if that makes sense. just trying to put all the decoding and processing on my AVR (onkyo sr805)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/16846205

this is achieved with passthrough digital audio via optical or coax. If your computer currently doesn't support this hook-up you can install a new soundcard.

Another option is digital audio passthrough via HDMI if your receiver has this option.

I'm currently using the optical out on my mobo (EVGA 780i), but I suspect it's not correct. There's a meter that only goes up about a quarter of the way ( its under the control panal settings that shows my optical signal). i'll try to post a screenshot in a minute.

EDIT: here's that screenshot and it looks like its fine now. No idea what was going now...

Before that I was sending the audio with the HDMI signal from my vid card (ASUS EAH3450/HTP/256M Radeon HD 3450). Lots of advice seemed to say that the optical would be better for listening to music than the HDMI.

· Registered
498 Posts
that looks correct. I would definitely opt for the optical, just seems like less of a headache after reading all the problems people are having in this forum.

maybe the green bar indicates volume. Mine only shows up when I'm playing non-digital content. When I'm playing DTS or Dolby it shows no green bars.

· Premium Member
16,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded /forum/post/16843968

iso's of all my DVD and Blu-ray movies (space is no issue).
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded /forum/post/16847178

just trying to put all the decoding and processing on my AVR (onkyo sr805)

Then ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 + TMT is the only solution for HD audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio) (launch TMT from My Movies), and any HDMI/SPDIF can do that for Dolby Digital and DTS. As for video, this is impossible; it's the role of video card, not AVR.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha thanks guys. i am such a novice still

i was confused on the video part - seems audio is the only thing i push over to the avr. this makes a lot more sense now.

fwiw - originally, that meter in that screenshot would peak at the 2nd bar, and that's what made me think something was wrong. it appears to be fine... could of been the volume in Vista, idk

· Premium Member
16,136 Posts
Bistreaming DD/DTS can be done by either HDMI or onboard SPDIF. There is no difference. You shouldn't see green bar. As for stereo PCM (e.g. audio CD), onboard audio is better in that HD 3450 supports only 16 bit 48 kHz (so 16 bit 44.1 kHz audio from CD is resampled to 48 kHz by Windows Audio Engine).

BTW did you install Realtek HD audio driver? Can you hear DD and DTS test sounds?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.