AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have RF-7 II no room above one of them to mount a front Height speaker unless I can find away to hang if from the ceiling ...... What do you guys think of standing RF-62 II on top of the RF-7 II ..... Let me know what you guys think and give reasons Thx !

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I've done heights before and will in not so distant future however, proper placement IMO, is up near the ceiling.

The two different speakers I used at different times had keyholes so I mounted them as close to the ceiling as possible. When you have thunder rolling, you want it coming from above.

That all said, go ahead and experiment with what you have and see what your ears think.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
If you already own them, then do a test and see. If not, then placing them so close to your mains will gain you nothing. Front Heights expand the front soundstage, so if you are only expanding it by 3 feet you have accomplished nothing.

·
Premium Member
13,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheater1010  /t/1417340/front-height-idea-need-input-thx#post_22163566

I have RF-7 II no room above one of them to mount a front Height speaker unless I can find away to hang if from the ceiling ...... What do you guys think of standing RF-62 II on top of the RF-7 II ..... Let me know what you guys think and give reasons Thx !
Are you using Audyssey DSX Heights, or or Dolby PLIIz Heights? The placement recommendations are different:

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz-details.html

Of course, neither recommends standing bookshelf speakers on top of floor-standers.

Craig

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Won't help you much because I had LaScalas....

I took a piece of plywood the same size as the base of the LaScala, made it about 6-8 inches longer so it would stick out BEHIND the speaker.

I screwed this to the bottom of the speaker as an extra base plate.

Mounted a 3/4" sconce (might have been 1/2", I did this in 1994/5

Mounted a nipple to the sconce, mounted a "T" to the nipple and then put about 6' of painted water pipe into the air. Next put another "T", nipple and mounted a pice of plywood with trim around it so that in the end, I had a platform about 6' in the air "above and behind" my LaScala.

Regardless of where I pointed my LaScala, the speaker above would follow suite.

I had three Academy's and put one above each LaScala as the front effects.

The idea worked out fantastic other than the Academy's getting drowned out by the LaScalas. (I used the 3rd one for center which to me, was an epic fail)

Easy to do this with a massive speaker like the LaScala, don't know that it would work in your circumstance.

I tell the story every now & then in hopes that maybe it will help someone....someday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What can I do then for front height a RF-62 II would put the horn about 4 feet up above the front speaker ...... My friend has 4 RF-82 all around and RC-64 center .... We used RB-61 at the ceiling about 4 feet above and two feet closer to his center and it's amazing ..... Almost the same thing just a bigger speaker ... Any ideas

·
Registered
29,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheater1010  /t/1417340/front-height-idea-need-input-thx#post_22163566

I have RF-7 II no room above one of them to mount a front Height speaker unless I can find away to hang if from the ceiling ......
I would hang a couple of small bookshelf speakers from the ceiling, angle-wise placed between the front speakers and side speakers. This will give you a better sense of height (give the impression of sounds above you) than placing the speakers above your front L/R (which gives more of an impression of a tall soundstage).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts