AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to see if I can put in my 3 front "Kirksaeter Silverline Inwall 120" speakers in the wall that faces other houses on the street. I know that in-wall speakers are not the ideal but I am trying to make wife happy with this project as well. These speakers are very highly rated as far as in-wall speakers are concerned. My worry is, will I bother everybody on my street having them in an outside wall? Is there anything I can do to insulate them so noise doesn't leak outside the house?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
you have another issue to worry about....much more damaging than a sound leak. If you cut into the wall, you will break through the vapor barrier between the heated "inside" and the insulation and colder "outside". It can be done, but you will need a method of insuring the continuous barrier provided by the plastic sheeting remains, otherwise during cold weather, the moist inside air will infiltrate into your insulation and condense - causing mold and water damage to the wall.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
If you cut into the wall, you will break through the vapor barrier between the heated "inside" and the insulation and colder "outside".

Are you sure? The vapor barrier (Tyvek, etc) is usually on the outside of the exterior wall surface. I put in wall surrounds in an exterior wall 3 years ago with no problems related to moisture.

Are you using sealed enclosure speakers? That type of in wall would keep most of the sound in the room. I wouldn't think they would cause a problem ( i never listen to my system from the outside, so i can't tell you from first hand experience). Non-enclosed speakers might be a greater sound transmission problem.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Tyvek is "house wrap" and meant to keep air, rain and outside water from penetrating into the sheathing, studs and insulation. Vapor barrier is used to keep moist inside air from penetrating thru the sheetrock and condensing within the wall insulation. If you live in the deep south, where cold weather is not a consideration, local codes may not require a vapor barrier. Some wall insulation has a coated craftpaper vapor barrier and that may be all you have. I am used to seeing both the craftpaper insulation barrier and an additional layer of plastic sheeting installed prior to putting the interior wallboard up.

Sealed back in-wall speakers would be the best choice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure if there is any vapor barrier behind the drywall. I guess I'll find out once I cut itI wish these speakers were enclosed but they are not. From the reviews I read, they are supposed to be some of the best inwall speakers. I am planning to enclose them with MDF and seal them as best as I can. MDF is supposed to be one of the best sound proofing enclosures. Other than Triad, do you know of any other good quality enclosed speakers?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have some experience with construction. What you want to do might work, but, as mentioned above, with the vapor barrier broken you will have major problems down the road. Ruined speakers, ruined drywall, rotting studs, cold air infiltration from the outside. The double barrier of Tyvek on the outside and a vapor barrier inside are there for a reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know if there is a way, I can cut the drywall without cutting through the vapor barrier? Also how can I push the insulation out of the way between the vapor barrier and the tyvek in order to be able to fit the speakers? If you guys don't think it'll be possible, I will have to try something even more difficult; convince the wife to accept covering the window with a screen wall so I can use bookshelves!!! I am not sure how that'll go!!!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/12988179

Sealed back in-wall speakers would be the best choice

When wouldn't they be??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/12988578

When wouldn't they be??

Easier to afford those beautiful Triads when you are the marketing manager of the company... I wish I had your job....Jealous...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Instead of hacking a large hole in an exterior wall to let the outside in, what about tower speakers. Now before your wife has a total meltdown over this idea, show her some internet pictures of towers. The better companies make very nice speakers that are furniture, not junk. If she still says "no way" start throwing out her candles
. Tell her they are fire hazards.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurk /forum/post/12988622

Easier to afford those beautiful Triads when you are the marketing manager of the company... I wish I had your job....Jealous...

Don't hate me, man. It's not all shaking hands and kissing babies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts