AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should be concerned about this or not - maybe one of the speakers is bad?...

When calibrating some active monitors (L/R speakers), one comes in 2.5db hotter than the other. And I know for a fact they should be calibrating to the exact same level in my room/set-up, like my others speakers do. They ALWAYS calibrate to the same level.

Is one of the speakers possibly damaged? They're brand new and the other active set I'm A/B'ing them against calibrates fine in the same position/set-up.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
On my setup, one's +1.0dB while the other is +1.5dB.

Might be the effect of room acoustics on your situation?

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
As an example, if you had your left speaker next to an open area with no wall next to it, and your right speaker a foot from a hard wall, you'd have to calibrate the left up a few deebers to make them even. The solution in that case would be to deaden the wall next to the right speaker so they both calibrate lower.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/15592727

The solution in that case would be to deaden the wall next to the right speaker so they both calibrate lower.

What exactly is done to deaden the wall?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Every other set of speakers I own and have owned calibrate to the same level though in this exact room and set-up. So they *should* be the same but this pair is not. Room acoustics aren't playing a part here. What else could the problem be?

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslbebiz /forum/post/15593261

^ Every other set of speakers I own and have owned calibrate to the same level though in this exact room and set-up. So they *should* be the same but this pair is not. Room acoustics aren't playing a part here. What else could the problem be?

You cannot be certain. The effect of the room/placement is dependent on the radiation characteristics of the particular speaker. This pair may be more so than your others.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
switch the two speakers around just to make sure one isn't defective and recalibrate.

If they are active monitors do they have their own volume and maybe tone control? Maybe one of the levels is slightly off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
You cannot be certain. The effect of the room/placement is dependent on the radiation characteristics of the particular speaker. This pair may be more so than your others.

Interesting. I never cease to learn something here.

Hmmm, the speakers are a 'matched pair' of Behringer 2031A's. All levels are set the same on both speakers, and when I swap them with the Mackie's I'm comparing them to, the Mackie's calibrate to the same level. The Behringer's calibrate 2.5db off.

I will switch the 2 speakers in question and see if it's the speaker or the placement. Hopefully the latter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the same issue. My left speaker is 2.5dB, while the right one is 3.5dB. However, I can't notice the difference running Test Tone both at the same level. It's just noticeable listening to music.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If the other speakers calibrate equal then the inconsistency is within one of your fronts...unless the problem does not follow the speakers when you reverse them. Is there an input sensitivity control on those speakers? If so, they may not be set to the same position. Sometimes powered speakers have an input sensitivity control. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/15594462

Maybe the speakers are different distances apart fom each other.

Should we run this through the Universal Translator?

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD /forum/post/15594588

I have the same issue. My left speaker is 2.5dB, while the right one is 3.5dB. However, I can't notice the difference running Test Tone both at the same level. It's just noticeable listening to music.

Ultimately, you can set the level trims wherever you prefer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.

The reason I brought it up is because all controls on both speakers are set the same, including the input sensitivity, yet they still calibrate differently. I always calibrate at 0 volume on my Pioneer 1018 and set SPL levels to 75db for the fronts using a handheld meter. To do so requires 2.5db more gain on the right speaker than the left to achieve this.

And yes, the speakers are the same distance apart from each other. Everything is always done in the same position on stands.

This is the first time these numbers have ever been different which led me to believe maybe one of the speakers is defective. I'll do the swap and find out for sure.

After I do the swap, if the problem still remains does that mean I DO in fact have a defective speaker? Other than this I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslbebiz /forum/post/15595179

And yes, the speakers are the same distance apart from each other.

They would have to be.

Quote:
After I do the swap, if the problem still remains does that mean I DO in fact have a defective speaker? Other than this I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary.

If the imbalance switches side when you swap the speakers, one of them is defective. If the imbalance stays on the same side when you swap, it is the room or something else in the system. If the imbalance disappears when you swap the speakers, you probably have a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
They would have to be.

LOL, righto. I mean the different sets are always the same distance apart from each other. Always in the same position.

Thanks for the info Kal, I'm gonna go switch them now and see what's up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts