AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front or down firing for small townhouse

932 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TrojanHorse 
#1 ·
I am putting a HT in my new townhouse basement, and I am looking for sub recommendations. I own nothing now...but will be purchasing everything soon. Since I have a small townhouse with neighbors on either side, I am wondering whether a front or down firing sub would be better. I obviously want to get the most out of the sub without pissing off the neighbors.

From my understanding, the down firing will create more rumble while the front firing will be more directed. I actually like the effect of the front firing when directed at me, and I also think it would be better for the neighbors...since it is less likely to be sent through the ground and walls. Does this make sense?

Sub recommendations are also welcome. This is for HT use only with HK AVR 335, and Polk RTi4, CSi3, FXi3. The room is 20 x 19 and shaped like and L so only the long part of the L will be the HT area.

#2 ·
It really won't make any difference. Rather what will be more important will be the volume level you run the subwoofer at. I live in the same situation as you and try to keep the volume at reasonable levels. Keep in mind you do not need high volume levels to enjoy well defined bass.

#5 ·
Are you comfortable with mail order? (on approval, but you carry shipping)

#7 ·
Not me. But check out the Hsu Research VTF-2 www.hsuresearch.com

If you can stretch another $80, the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 . The picture on the web site doesn't do it justice. The top is black plexiglass so in your room it looks like a piece of furniture.

#9 ·
Currently I like the Velodyne DLS-3750R. This is based on auditioning many subs in my price range of $500..no HSU's though. I am intrigued by the HSU VTF-2....but my girlfriend is pretty picky in hearing it before we buy. Since is seems unlikely I will get to hear the HSU, is the HSU VTF-2 significantly better than the Velodyne DLS-3750R?

#10 ·
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but aren't down firing subs better for home theater because it's more difficult to determine the location of the

sub. Front firing are generally better for music application and are more easy to detect in the room. I was told that since I will use it for both, like most people, to get the down firing.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanHorse
Who has black plexiglass as furniture?
What can I say? In their current locations all you notice is the top, and they look like glass over some sort of dark wood. No they don't 'match' the living room decor, but they fit in a lot better than e.g. big flat-black cylinders. ;)

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
What can I say? In their current locations all you notice is the top, and they look like glass over some sort of dark wood. No they don't 'match' the living room decor, but they fit in a lot better than e.g. big flat-black cylinders. ;)
Ah, phooey. I tucked my big flat black sock covered cylinder behind my tower speakers and it's barely noticeable... they're the same height.

I'd see the side of the sub more than the top (assuming I had a flat black box with a shiny top) so the top isn't a particularly big deal to me. But that's me.

Does anybody upholster subs? Maybe a nice leather cover would look nice...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.