AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HT sound is way better than the video i have now (27" sony http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ..

I am looking to upgrade my TV. Started off initially shopping for RPTV's..then I started lurking in this forum. Now i am considering an FP as an option.

My viewing room will have reasonable light control...I am restricted for size. (one of the cons with RPTV..wife hates the size!).So assuming I will have about 60" screen is it worth for me to go for a FP? I am right now considering an LT150..Also I have an old DVD (non progressive). Would I have to spend on a progressive DVD..or would an interlaced Svideo pic on LT150 be good enough (relatively speaking)

Thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
there was a similar question a week or so ago...

i currently own a 53" 16:9 HD RPTV which I bought for ~$3k last august. in general, I really like the set and am happy with my purchase. if I were to buy today, however, I would have kept my 27" for normal TV watching and purchased an LT-150 and microperf screen for the same ~$3k. I would have a bigger screen (even 60" is bigger!), perfect convergence and geometry, and wouldn't have the drawbacks of DBS compression flying in my face constantly (27" covers that up pretty well).

With the setup i'm suggesting you could place the center channel on the TV behind the screen and lower the screen when it's time for movies or HD. This way you're getting the best of both worlds.

jake

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Something else to consider is that you could get away with an SVGA rez DLP since your screen size is so small. In case you get a killer price like around $1500. Otherwise, an LT150 will do.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I agree with shahram72. On a small screen a good SVGA projector with better features than an LT150 could be had for much less money, and give an excelent picture. That is the kind of set-up I'm using. But with most DLP machines, including the LT150 you will get a MUCH better picture with a HTPC as your source. I've used an interlaced DVD player, and while it might be acceptable to some, I don't like it. Progressive DVD players are still not as good because the projector still has to scale from 480p to its native resolution. It is much better for a computer to do the scaling. If you would be interested in a very nice SVGA DLP and a HTPC combo for hundreds less than a LT150 let me know by e-mail or PM.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by neil525 (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
shahram72, neil525,

A 60" screen might look relatively small to some, but screen size doesn't really matters by itself. What matters is the ratio between the screen size and the distance of the viewer from it.

If schintam is going to sit less than ~8' from his 60" screen, SVGA might not due (At lower than 2:1 ratio, the differnce between SVGA and XGA is beginning to appear).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info folks. My viewing distance would be around 8-9~.

Now neil's reply prompted me to look into htpc !! Well one more forum to go thru now....

I have an eerie feeling that this is just the beginning..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.