AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Newbie here to this forum. Not that new to AV, but it's been a while!

I am currenly building an entertainment room. It is approximatly 12x20 and in the basement. controlled lighting, no windows, etc.

I recently went looking for TVs. A couple interested me (only been to a sony dealer). 1st was a 65" CRT, KP-65WS500 ($3000). There were some other LCD models as well. But what really caught my eye was a 101" Sony front display they had. Then I heard the price, around $3800 plus another $1000 at least for the screen.

The reason I want front project in my basement is prone to getting a little water in it if the sump pump fails. (very rare, but a possibility) :) Just a little. So either I would need to build things up off the floor, or go the front projection route. the FP will also save room (lengthwise)

I am thinking somewhere between 65" and 80" screen. Will be used mainly for watching DVDs, DSS, playing X-Box, etc. HDTV compatible I want so I can upgrade in the future. Also the wide screen view (16:9).

Things I am looking for information on:

What are the types of FPs available today. I've heard about the kind with three bulbs, and digital. not sure which is better and why. Also, can any projector be set up to display on any size screen (if I want to every go bigger or smaller in the future).

Types of screens and average cost. Not sure where to start here. My brother said "buy a white sheet!" haha..

What size screen would be optimal for my room? Since it's 20" long, it would be nice to have at least two rows of seats, just incase. Also, I wouldn't mind putting up a small bar as well. Ceiling is the false ceiling that attaches to the joists. About 7 1/2" high. Easily accessible for running of wires, etc.

Anything else I'm forgetting? Thanks! Just starting out, and its been a while since I went shopping for AV equipement.

Pics of the room to get an idea are at my homepage link in my bio... www.bvstools.com/pics/basement.html

·
Registered
617 Posts
I hung my Barco 808 in the basement HT also 12x20. great look. screen is 84" wide 16/9 screen of DIY wood frame and blackout cloth stretched across it. Your mom was right...I used a beige sheet for a year while the HT was being built.

:)

Curt Palm is the guy to see about a CRT.

I love mine.

Scott

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here is a link to an article on front projection basics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.