Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbies Please Read This First

This forum section is probably one (if not the) most read or threaded section in this website. I think that just about everyone sees that the future of home theater is all about the recreating the movie screen image, and for the price, versatility, and option nothing beats front projection.

Unfortunately, what we’re now in is simply a case of too much information, and not enough direction in finding what a person new to front projection wants for him/herself. In creating this thread, I hope many of my fellow avs threaders past and present can lend their help in guiding new readers to the world of affordable front projection without creating a flame war or being too condescending simply because the questions are something everyone has seen over and over, starting with the phrase “I’m a newbie and I need help in…â€

There are many projectors available but only a certain few get a lot of avsforum press simply because they satisfy what most people want in creating the cinematic experience. Do they have faults- of course, what doesn’t? Many threads regarding these projectors highlight both their strengths and weaknesses. It is imperative to use the SEARCH function listed above to read about these factors, and make the final decision yourself.

If the thread itself is insufficient, go to the retailers listed on the top. They have professionals who have spent a lot of time on these projectors and can lend you a hand in what you want. Admittedly, they are just as biased about certain products over others, so take their (and everyone else’s) advice with a grain of salt and from all of this info you should be able to figure out what you want.

Another location is projectorcentral.com. This is another resource, which provides reader’s reviews, as well as editorial reviews of most of the popular projectors out there. Unfortunately, sometime it takes longer for the editor to review a certain kind of projector so it may help you to read any reader reviews that may have already been posted. There is also a very good screen calculator for most of the projectors you might be interested in. This should not be taken for gospel as the actual distances and size may be different, but it should be more than sufficient to give you an idea of how far to achieve what size you want. Finally, it has the specs of most current projectors that you might be interested it. Again, do not take this information for gospel, as what is written may not exactly be what is seen on screen. There are many threads of what people see based on their experiences and those experiences are what help you in your final decision.

Manufacturers

There are many makes and models and hopefully as time goes by more will be listed here. Some even provide operating manuals to download and screen calculators so you can further understand the model you interested in and how it can fit your room and your needs. For reviews most avs readers will create their own threads about a particular projector.

This thread was created to provide people new to front projection- not as a new thread to relay your like or dislikes about a particular projector or technology used. Instead, write in from time to time about new and upcoming projectors and perhaps threads to find more information about them. Some projectors, like the X1, have dedicated sections to better inform you of this projector. There are also modifications of many of these projectors to better the image quality. Some are more extreme than others. Typically, you find them by searching the word “Modded†or “Filters†or “Hoya†or “ND†or “FLD†or “FL-Dâ€

There is a lot of information out there, but in my opinion the better educated and informed you are the better your questions will be answered and will hopefully guide you in the creation of your private screening room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:) appreciate all the input that is available on these threads. as a newbie to HT and Projectors, I can certainly atest to the mammoth amounts of information. and as projectors enter the affordable range, many more "newbies", like myself, will be entering the fray.

most of my research was at the sites you mentioned, and there is a lot of information all ready out there. but, to the guys that have set up their own screening room brings that much more for someone like me to draw from. thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.