AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question that I asked awhile ago, but never got a response on.

I'm going to start fixing up my basement next month, and am going to have a front projector, with the components on the other side of the room. How and where should I run the cabling to the projector? Since I'm not sure what pj I'm getting yet (and even if I did, it could change in the next 4-6 months), what should I do? Do people generally have the video cables coming out of the wall or the ceiling? How many cables (and of what type) should be run? If I install conduit, will I have enough room to run multiple cables later (I'm particularly worried about DVI-type connectors with the big heads). Any thoughts/opinions on where the jacks should go?

CW

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well if you don't have a screen size and projector in mind the placement is pretty hard to guess. You could make provision to run the wiring (Signal and AC) forward from the rear up the middle and that way regardless of front to back position you are covered.

I used 2" conduit but am not sure it will accomodate DVI.

In that conduit I have:

Two 5 conductor RCA cables.

S-Video

Composite

Remote IR feed to projector

12Vdc out from projector

My AC was run seperately to the projector.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jim Mc - what is the purpose of the two 5-conductor RCA cables? And the 12Vdc out? Good idea on the Remote IR feed, I have that planned for the stuff in my equipment rack in a separate room, but hadn't thought of it for the pj, thanks.

I'm concerned about DVI, IEEE-1394, etc as well. It seems like there are still too many questions regarding these to shell out the money and run them now, but those DVI connectors seem rather large, even for conduit.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
A DVI cable will fit through a 2" conduit, but it needs to go through an empty conduit. Pass the other cables after or with the DVI cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.