Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation...

I bought a hitachi 50v500 (lcd rp) and i'm not entirely happy with it. (can't seem to get detail in dark backgrounds, fast moving ps2 games look pixelly (sp?).

I hadn't considered a front projector before, but after I finish my basement, I'll have a great space for it except that the screen will have to go in front of windows (obviously I can have a curtain, but are screens better if they're fixed, or can you roll them down like the old ones in junior high?

Just for a jumping off point, let's say I was willing to spend around $2500, can you guys throw some different projectors at me to research? And maybe the ups and downs of some of the technologies that I'd be looking at?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go to Projectocentral read the basics go over some reviews learn about the diferent technologies then come back here and do some searching through the threads when your ready.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
there are both fixed and roll-up kind of screens. Also there is nothing wrong with having the screen in front of the windows (but I would add curtains to them as well

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Sanyo Z2, Panny 500, Dell3200 and a new Optoma in the Dell price range maybe a good start.

I have the Z2 and to state there is zero pixelation/blur effect on pc games.

You can do roll down screens, you will want a really good light blocking curtain inlet to cover the window or it will bleed through the screen during the day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the help. I know it sucks for people who always read a forum to see these vague newbie questions, but this is exactly what I was looking for, just a jumping off point to start researching.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Bloodzombie

I noticed you're from Seattle. About 6 mos. back there was a "Seattle shootout" thread. You may be able to talk to some of the guys involved. I don't know if they would offer an in house screening, but might be worth persuing. At the very least they may be able to point you to local dealer show rooms if such exists locally.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I did a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure that I don't want an LCD projector. One of my biggest complaints with this LCD RP tv is the black levels, I have no reason to think that a FP would be any different.

these are the specs that I'd like to see in a projector, and i'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Let me know if I'm being too ambitious for my price range.

price: $2000-$3000

DLP

XGA res

Bright enough to watch with some ambient light

I'm having trouble finding specific models to research.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thegeek
I don't know what kind of normal white meat you've been eating, but Orc is most certainly not white meat!
It's like chicken.... you have to eat the breasts... :p

·
Registered
573 Posts
Bloodzombie-

Check out the specs on the BenQ PB6200. It's a new projector supposedly coming out mid to late February. MSRP $1599.00.

It's at the top of my list right now, but I'm waiting for it's release and the ensuing reviews before I jump in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it's hard to know anything about a projector without reviews of people who have actually seen it. the data sheets seem to be a good point to start at, but they don't really tell you how good it's going to look.

Also... Can you run a PC through just about any projector? I want to be able to do that for pc games.

Mainly I want it to look good for DVD, console and pc games, and HD.. if SD cable looks like crap, I don't really care.. If I want to watch Queer eye for the straight guy, or some Andy Griffith re-runs, I can do it on my 27".

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:
if SD cable looks like crap, I don't really care.. If I want to watch Queer eye for the straight guy, or some Andy Griffith re-runs, I can do it on my 27".
Concur:p

Mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wouldn't worry about LCD's black levels. I'd worry more about the rainbow effect of DLPs.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I have never seen a digital projector without a VGA plug. So from that respect I think the answer is yes. But there is more then just the right plug. I cannot remember the last time I saw a PC with the video driver set to less then 1024x768, so what you want is to setup the driver to match the real (not max) resolution of the projector and that it be at least XGA (i.e. 1024x768)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FlawlessOne
I wouldn't worry about LCD's black levels. I'd worry more about the rainbow effect of DLPs.

I was under the impression that with a 6 panel wheel and 4x speed very few people could see rainbows.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Look for info on these: NEC LT240k and LT260K; Mitsubishi XD300U; Sharp PG-M20X. These are in your price range and currently popular for home theater. The Benq 6200 shows promise, but it's not available yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by msieweke
Look for info on these: NEC LT240k and LT260K; Mitsubishi XD300U; Sharp PG-M20X. These are in your price range and currently popular for home theater. The Benq 6200 shows promise, but it's not available yet.
awesome! thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.