AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an Idea. I wanted to be able to have an awesome, 100" screen and use it for viewing all the time in a non-pitch black atmosphere. But this is impossible. One day I saw an ad for this type of product in a local departmental store's catalogue. A front projector projecting from the rear onto a screen.

Could anyone tell me how well this would work in;

Contrast?

Brightness?

Is it possible?

Has it been tried?

Any info on doing this?

See the attached diagram if you dont understand what i mean.

For this i Would probably be using an HT1000, BenQ 8700, Optoma H76, or something of the like...

Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
A number of people have discussed this in the recent years. It is clearly being done in classrooms and professional events all over the world. Most resdiential applications do not have the "extra" space to do this easily. Some have discussed using mirrors much like rptv does now to decrease the amount of space needed "behind" the screen. It does creat a bright image. The last time I spent anytime in front of a rear project large screen was school in the 80's so hopefully others can give you more practical help.

Paul

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info. We were planning on getting an extension to our house and possibly we could incorporate it. Anyone else got more info?

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Look on Da-Lite's site. I recall a couple of white papers on rear projection. Your next step is probably calling some DaLite dealers (AVS is one) and asking them questions on any RP screens they might carry.

Here's one of them but there are many more in their angles of view series.

Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
 Here is a somewhat better white paper but I'd page through all of them to get a feel of the advantages and disavantages of the state of the art from a few years ago.

Oh, I noticed that skimming the BenQ page that they state that all of thier projectors can do RP...which is pretty common feature anyway since I think all of mine have had it.

Nigel

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enlightening ;)

Thanks for that, mate. But I live in Australia and I hope I have a local Da-Lite dealer.

Anyone got more practical information on how the image would be in comparison to a front projection? Better or worse, and if so, in what aspects?

Has anyone auctually tried out this setup? If they have, could they please give me some feedback on cost, contrast, and brightness?

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Your image is much more resistant to washout by ambient for 2 reasons:

1) Since the screen is design to transmit light, ambient light striking the screen goes through, rather than being all reflected or absorbed like your PJ beam, which means

2) Your screen can be an (apparently) even darker gray than a FP screen gray giving you much better blacks.

So while there is no actual increase in your PJ's contrast, your effective contrast under any non-zero ambient light conditions is enhanced.

If I could do RP, I would in a heartbeat.

Cost is strictly a matter of making the space, plus a little pricier screen material since it is a lower volume product, demand-wise.

Brightness is on par with FP, depends on PJ and screen type/gain.

I would also talk to Stewart about RP, they are very good in this area (note: I like Da-lite screens, I own one).

BB

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brandon, mate, you've really got me excited. BETTER THAN FRONT PROJECTION?! ?!? !? ?! ??!

*Faints*

*Wakes up*

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I am going to seriously look into this - thanks so much for the information although if anyone knows any drawbacks other than space could they please tell me?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Another small advantage: people can't walk in front of the PJ and cast shadows.

Another disadvantage is it rules out perf screens and speakers behind the screen for optimal center channel placement.

But if you will have ambient light of some level at all times, yes, RP is a really good way to go.

And you should go the Da-Lite screen site and read some of their tutorials on RP, they are informative.

BB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.