AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you run a front projector setup, and NOT use a center channel speaker? If so, why not? How has it worked out? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
In the old days before acoustically transparent screens were suitable for the home we did.

We used full Meridian systems with DSP speakers.

They had an uncanny ability to produce a very solid phantom center fill,even off axis.

I'd rather have a phantom center than something that is really mismatched tonally, on the floor or way above the screen.

As long as your on axis you would be fine.

I have not listened to any recently as we always use a matched center behind the screen.

If I recall correctly there were some manufactures experimenting with a center channel in the L&R speakers.

No idea if it works or not...
http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/products/Speakers/high-output/13325

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. As long as no one sits outside of either edge of screen, the phantom center should work well? One problem though, is you would lose the ability to boost center channel(for dialogue) if needed, correct?

I currently use a center speaker above the screen, but I'm considering going to a larger screen. If I do that though, I would probably have to lose the center speaker due to my low ceiling.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It depends on a couple factors, dispersion of the speakers being important. You would have to see how it works with your system.

I think I have seen some processors that still allow center channel level adjustment even in phantom-I think.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1522347/front-projector-setup-without-center-channel-speaker#post_24478412

I think I have seen some processors that still allow center channel level adjustment even in phantom-I think.

Thanks. I will have to check my manual. I have the Insignia NS-R5101HD receiver.

** The manual is vague. There are settings for Center "Width", "Dimension", and Panorama".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts