AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What looks better a 100' screen PLV70 or a Toshiba 65HX83? Does the technology of the projector make the picture look better although it is displaying a bigger picture? Sorry to ask but I have never seen the projector in action.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The way your question is phrased makes it tough to answer. There aer pros and cons to both. Perhaps it would be best just to list a few and determine what's important to you. I went through this when I started out here 9 months ago looking for a "big TV" Here's some that come to mind. I'm sure others will add to the list!

RPTV pros:

Simple "one box" solution, like a TV

Easy to see them in stores and compare/buy.

Easy to operate, like a TV

CRT models don't have a possibly short lamp life issue.

Less sensitive to ambient light.

FP pros:

MUCH bigger image

Much less viewing angle variation in image.

More theater-like and immersive.

A much greater coolness factor :)

Finally: Most people who have moved from a RPTV to a FP don't look back.

Gordon

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
There's also price to consider. For a projector, you need a screen, some kind of channel tuner, stereo, speakers, and bass shakers. OK, the bass shakers are not needed, but sure are cool.

Our 55" Toshiba is now one of the "smaller" TVs. It's nothing compared to the 123" screen in the next room.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am currently planning on getting both RP and FP for the same room. A CRT RPTV for everyday viewing since FP bulb burnout could be an issue, Also, daytime ambient light would be an issue for FP. Later down the road, I'm leaning towards a DLP FP for serious movie watching/sports events.

A few months ago, I was waiting for a price drop on an HD2 DLP FP (e.g. Sharp10000) but the drop wasn't as big as I was hoping. But now my current (vintage) RPTV is starting to die and now I'm scrambling. I can't get both at the same time unless maybe I go cheap on the RPTV. But go cheap on a set I'd be watching 80-90% of the time ?

That's the situation I'm in right now. I'm hoping I can live with the current RPTVs problems until the new Mitsubishi 65" 65813 starts to become available

The financial damage of a decent RPTV would keep me from investing in the FP right away. Maybe by the time I do it, I'll be able to get a 3 chip HD4+++ DLP projector for less than $5K.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of line doubler does the mitsu have? I heard that in the past they have been poor with standard definition.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
you may want to get on the RPTV forum for that answer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.