AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remodeling and creating a dedicated HT. I'm planning on a FP and have the option of having a power outlet adjacent to the projector or running a really long power cord through a ceiling space. Any recommendations on which would be best?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Carey, I almost have to run a power cord for at least some length parallel to my VGA cable. Are you sure the shielding in VGA cable isn't adequate and if it isn't any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Your power lines should be at least 6" apart from any video cables, as stated in this thread .

Also, VGA cable does not have shielding to protect it from parallel power lines, as stated in this thread by Dennis:
Quote:
Your RGB cable is, and is not, shielded. It is shielded to the extent all coax cable is shielded. The "not" side of the coin is it does not have an outer shield (not used as part of the current path) which can be drained (or grounded). Once again, try it and see if you even have a problem to be worried about. [Which gets to your project manager, Mr. Murphy. If you shield, drain, protect, etc., you'll certainly find you didn't need to. If you don't, you'll find you need to and you'll have to tear stuff out and start over.]
------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Jaron,

You'll probably be OK if it's a short run and the VGA cable is shielded well. It's just not good practice, since there is always the chance of picking up 60Hz noise into the video. I even tie my AC cable (loosely, though) for a couple of feet along the VGA cable and have seen no problems.

Carey

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I'd also suggest running your video equipment & pj on the same phase.

You can also do a lookup on "4 wire ground" or "star ground" in one of the avs forums if you want to get fancy

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Consider that a dedicated outlet will get you higher current wiring up closer. If you're going to run it through the ceiling anyway, why not just put in an outlet? If you use power cord type wire, I wouldn't run it any longer then the original cord length. And I wouldn't run it parallel to any video cables either.

But also consider how you could attach a UPS or power conditioner if you needed one. I would think you would, being in CA. Good luck.

Carey

------------------

My forever in-progress Home Theatre

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
In case you care, my understanding is that running an extension cord through the ceiling is *always* a code violation. A "plenum-rated extension cord" is an oxymoron.

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Jaron,

I'm not sure why you asking this. You *do not* want to run them in parallel, if you can avoid it. Though this is usually difficult if coming from the same back panel, so the best you can do is separate them as much as possible to eliminate any pickup.

Carey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.