AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in NYC apt and finally decided to get X1 with pulldown screen. As I plan this out, it seems as though it's all going to be a bit clunky in apt living room (since I'd be keeping my 35" set for regular tv viewing).

I've read some other posts which people decided to go with RPTV because they live in apt. I've thought about this a few times. I could get rid of direct view and use RPTV for everything.

It would be great to hear from anyone in apts (not big apts either.. it's nyc after all) who has successfully set this this kind of thing up.

One tricky point is that my direct view set and all audio equipment is on one wall and I'd have to place the projector above the couch on opposite wall. Would then need to have Time Warner install a HD cable box just for the projector and run cables everywhere. It's just beginning to seem overwhelming.

Any helpful suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think a RPTV in an apartment is a worse idea since space is more of a premium. I have a setup with only 8.1' from projector (on a shelf against the backwall) to the screen (hanging from the front wall.) I know Li On also lives in a room right around the size of mine as well.

I also have my equpiment underneath the screen. I just use a KVM switcher to switch video (audio done by receiver) and there's only one wire running to the projector. But you might not be able to run wires all over the place. My weird living space I'm allowed to do most anything I want to the room.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey carl..

do you have a regular tv in your set up too? how do you fit that in?

I have one wall that will have to have TV and the pull down screen. It's a big wall but I can't project onto it because the 35" TV goes up it half way.

thanks for reply

·
Registered
857 Posts
well I live in an apartment here in Brooklyn, NY , and I am installing HS10 in my 13'x13' bedroom .. I will project image from ~11 feet away from the wall, and I will watch it from ~12 feet.. Im going with a fixed screen... But in your case get yourself a Pulldown screen and hang it over TV ...

Who said you have to have a House in order to have a Home Theater ???

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I live in a condo and I went with FP over RPTV for a couple of reasons. One is that I can move my FP system by myself. There's no way I'm doing anything with a RPTV without bonded movers.

Look for a short throw projector and shoot for a smaller screen size than what most folks in this forum have (say below 80" width).

To save space I kinda dumped my 35" TV and bought a small cheap 17" LCD monitor and stuck it above my stereo cabinet (I use a little XB50 to convert to VGA).

Regards,

Nigel

PS My room is kinda smallish. Its 20x20 with the kitchen cut into one corner so its effectively 14"x20" in the HT area.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Another apartment dweller using a projector here. One of the reasons I went with front projection is because my wife absolutely would not allow me to get an RPTV. They take up too much space and would be horrible to get out of the place if and when we eventually move someplace else.

My NEC LT-240 sits a little over 9 feet from the screen. At its smallest zoom setting, I get an image that's about 75", which is more than sufficient size considering my seating distance. At the largest zoom setting it goes up to almost 90". I usually leave it at the small zoom setting to get more lumens on the screen and so forth.

The screen is directly above my old entertainment center, which is one of the lower and flatter models (wider than tall). My 27" TV, that used to sit on top of the entertainment center, has been moved off to the side. It now sits on top of some sturdy shelving cubes.

Space is at a premium here, but this arrangement manages to fit everything in nicely. The only problem is that I have cables running across the floor from my entertainment center to the projector. I bought some of those cord-protector things that prevent you from tripping over them, and then put a small throw rug on top. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but my wife, who is very picky, has decided to live with it. Works for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in an apt as well. My main room is roughly 15 X 20. Picture yourself standing on the back wall of the rectangle look to the opposite wall. On that wall is a couch, and a rack which holds all the gear and is about 8 feet tall. The projector is also on this rack at about 7 feet up. I shoot across the room to screen which is hung from the ceiling in front of a bank of windows. I have a TV as well, its on the left wall facing the couch, on an angle (i have a doorway right there). The only downside to this is that the TV doesnt have surround sound, as the speakers are positioned for the projector. But for me thats not a huge sacrifice as i watch all my movies on the projector.

I would NOT go with a RPTV, moving will be a huge expense, and you will have to calibrate post each move, and if you're serious about PQ then that means ISF ($$$), each move. Also, they take up too much space. I have a 108" screen that takes up NO floor space!

I have my speaker wires, and subwoofer wires running along the baseboard of the room. They are close to invisible, and if I had carpet (I have hardwood), you wouldnt be able to see them. One other downside is the LENGTH of the cable runs. I need about 50' for each of the front speakers, and center channel, and subwoofer (which is NOT normal speaker wire), so thats something to think about, but the plus is that the surround speaker runs are SHORT (7 feet each or so).

I played around with the idea of having the screen come down in front of the TV, but found this limiting and cluttered in my space. But it may be an option for you.

The Z1 (which I have), has a SHORT throw distance that would be nice in your space possibly. Right now the screen and the PJ are about 13 feet apart. And the no one EVER notices the slim white Model B case, i love the stealh appeal.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Carl..who's Carl? :)

I never did have a regular TV once I switched to FP. Currently, I'm in between projectors and using a 15" computer monitor to view everything. While certain things are obviously quite unimpressive (DVDs, HDTV) I find I really like the fact that I can walk out of the room for five minutes and not worry about my bulb running time. It also makes DirecTVs compression artifacts bearable when I just want to watch CNN or Comedy Central or something else rather low-fidelity. I think when I get everything going again I'll try to find a way to work a dual display setup in for this purpose...

My projector was the AE100. I'm probably moving to Sanyo Z1/SE 1HD. Their throws are pretty similar with the latter being a little shorter I think. ProjectorCentral has a calculator for either one so you can figure things out beforehand. Don't forget to account for thickness / distance from wall of screen and the depth of the projector in your measurement.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
Carl..who's Carl? :)
oops.. it was way too early for me..

Thanks for all inputs.. the thing that is had to work out is that the pull-down screen will block audio rack (reciever, DVD, etc) so I don't think my remotes will work and I'd have to walk around the screen to get to equipment.

I'm really trying to make this work, but I need reg TV in here. My tv is on alot for background news, music, etc. Will be using front projector for actually sit down movie/hdtv watching.

The only reason I was considering RPTV was it could take up space that my 35" and audio rack take up now, and stick all components on top of tv. chuck the 35" and use rptv for all shows. its a tough decision because i keep reading how people on this board chuck their rptv's once they get fp!

thanks

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gregg Brent
The only reason I was considering RPTV was it could take up space that my 35" and audio rack take up now, and stick all components on top of tv. chuck the 35" and use rptv for all shows.
By "stick all components on top of tv", I hope you mean that you will have a shelf above the TV where the components will rest. It is not a good idea to sit your components directly on top of an RPTV. The weight can bow the screen and throw off convergence.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If the screen blocks direct IR, pick up a cheap flasher/repeater at Radioshack. Crutchfield sells slightly more elaborate solutions with a mainbox and flashers on 6' cords. They're very easy to use.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
or get a screen that lets you shoot through it though its expensive.. have you thought about how the screen is going to hose up your sound?? think the repeater will work better.. or better yet build an htpc ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have a small space. About 11' to the screen gives a max screen width of 70" with my Infocus 425z. I keep a 27" TV on low shelving in front of the screen and my centre channel sits on the TV. I just posted to the gallery so here's an attempt at a link...

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...papass=&sort=1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for link.. i actually might be able to pull off something like that. If I sit my 35" screen lower (like almost on the floor) I'd have room for screen above it. The pulldown was beginning to put me off the idea.

tom, i was worried my screen might be to high on wall, but yours seems to be close to ceiling. any problems viewing at that angle? if not, i might have a solution

josh, thanks for tip on components on top of rptv. that never occured to me. i could build a shelf actually if i go that route.

·
Registered
704 Posts
the moving factor was also a big decision point for me when I got my pj. so much easier to move a pj than an rptv.

I have all of my equipment in the next room (basically a large closet) on a rack. I put together an IR receiver/emitter setup for about $80, mostly from stuff that I found on ebay. by moving the equipment out of the 'theater' room, I really cleaned up the front viewing area without taking away valuable seating space. I think this is definitely worth looking into if space is at a premium. smarthome also has this stuff.

if you are going with a 4x3 projector and throw distance is an issue, it might be worth looking into an ISCOII. the isco is constant height, so you only need to be able to fit a full panel image in the center of a 16x9 screen - the isco will then stretch it to fit the screen. I justified the price because I'll continue to use it for full panel scope presentations after I get that big promotion can swing a 1920x1080 HD4 or 16x9 dila pj.

definitely go with fp. it is just cooler.

-jeff

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
ISCO II is a lens which stretches a 4:3 image horizontally to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Think of it as undoing the anamorphic squeeze optically. Where as the ISCO II keeps the height the same and stretches the width, the Panamorph lens/prism maintains the same width and compresses the image vertically. The same end effect, but they differ in the throw distance they provide.

I use an ISCO II in front of my old NEC vt540k in my condo here in Brooklyn, NY. The room is about 14' deep. I have it setup for an 80" wide screen right now with stunning results (except for the projector's black levels... but that's another issue).

-Jon

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for ISCO info jon. It sounds very cool, but i looked it up online and it was about the same price of projector i'm looking at. i need more money

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.