AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have it on surround the other 4 speakers work fine. It's a 6.1 receiver and the hookups are plugged in correctly. It was working the day before.

Anyone know of common problems why it would just stop working and how I can fix it?

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Time to do some troubleshooting. Switch the connections on the AVR to the L/R speakers. If the R speaker starts playing, the problem is in the AVR. If the R speaker remains silent and the L speaker still plays, the problem is in the R speaker its connections.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
What brand and model are these speakers?

Do you own an ohm meter?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Front right speaker wont work?

Tell it to stop being so lazy and do it's damn job! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/0

Front right speaker wont work?

Tell it to stop being so lazy and do it's damn job! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

And if Obama gets back in office he'll make sure it will never have to work again!
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc /forum/post/20920044

And if Obama gets back in office he'll make sure it will never have to work again!
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

I knew I liked you!

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsGambit
The front speakers keep shutting off. Bought this receiver at a pawn shop. I think I've learned my lesson. They will play than shut off. its weird.
OK, so since both front speakers shut off, the problerm is with the receiver. You probably have a loose solder joint that opens when the receiver warms up. You may be able to isolate the problem and fix it, but it's only a matter of time before you have several more similar problems.

I learned my lesson a long time ago not to buy used receivers. I was burned a couple of times buying refurbished receivers that only lasted a couple of years. The only things I'll buy used are passive speakers that don't have a woofer. Woofers tend to dry out and crack over time.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Woofers don't dry out and crack if they're indoors and not roasting in the sun all the time. Surrounds will rot but they are easily replaceable. I've also had quite a few refurbished products and more often than not they've worked great for me. Although I agree that it's pretty much a crapshoot with refurbished stuff.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/20921134

Woofers don't dry out and crack if they're indoors and not roasting in the sun all the time. Surrounds will rot but they are easily replaceable. I've also had quite a few refurbished products and more often than not they've worked great for me. Although I agree that it's pretty much a crapshoot with refurbished stuff.

I guess I wasn't detailed enough. The surrounds of the woofers dry out and crack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.