AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a bunch of live DVD-A titles under this name (BTO, Pat Travers, April Wine, David Crosby, Iggy Pop, Kansas, Foghat) and wondered if anyone has heard any of these.

·
Registered
271 Posts
"From The Front Row - Live" is Latin for "Don't buy this processed surround-sound mess."

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah, these are the dregs of surround sound. Stay far, far away from "From the

Front Row". Silverline's best surround offerings are the stellar Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band releases.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Silverline also distributes the excellent title "Surrounded" by Tipper. Probably the best demo disk (though I like it for the music as well) in my meager surround collection.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have Tipper and BPB XXL also and love them for demo'ing.... both outstanding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Roc29
I've noticed a bunch of live DVD-A titles under this name (BTO, Pat Travers, April Wine, David Crosby, Iggy Pop, Kansas, Foghat) and wondered if anyone has heard any of these.
I have one and you can have it free!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevit
I have one and you can have it free!

Which band? Maybe I'll PM you my mailing address. LOL

·
Registered
673 Posts
I recently purchased the Foghat "front row live" and it is the worst sounding media of any kind that I own! It sounds like someone was sitting in the audience with a tape recorder.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the Kansas version and it sounds like a freakin' bootleg. Run, don't walk, away.

·
Banned
3,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Roc29
Mix-o-magic - Even Iggy Pop is unlistenable

I often wonder if anyone at Silverline actually listens to the discs prior to issueing the titles to the public? They probably couldn't stand to listen...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I purchased the Silverline "Curtis Mayfield Live at Ronnie Scott's" DVD-A for $3 delivered. If it is as bad as you guys say, I may as well have just walked outside and thrown $3 up in the air and let it blow away but I am a gambler. It should be here in a week or so but I am not expecting much and who knows how long before I will even put in the player.

Chris

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The seller couldn't deliver the Curtis Mayfield title and refunded my money. I have purchased several other Silverline discs, none are Front Row Live though. The biggest problem I notice is the fidelity in general isn't better than CD. Yes the surround mixes are not great either but clarity is better with my other DVD-A titles and that is more important to me. Overall though the Silverline titles I have are ok and include some more obscure titles I like, none of which I have a redbook CD to compare to unfortunately to see if purchasing them made any sense at all. Some online sellers still ask a premium price for the Silverline discs, others seem to treat many of them as if they are cut-outs and in fact some of mine do have a hole punched in the artwork. Dishwalla "Opaline" has better fidelity that other Silverline tittles I have heard and is listed as an Immergent release, a Silverline affiliate.

Gerry Rafferty "Can I Get My Money Back?" is more like an early pre "City to City" best of compilation, with not so good fidelity and not a very good surround mix but the music is really good in my opinion. This disc includes the original album and most of the Rafferty songs from the two Humblebums albums from around 1970. I hadn't heard much of the music before but love the late 70's to early 80's Rafferty music so I took a shot and I am happy.

"Geoff Tate", a pretty good but totally forgettable album has had a place in my play rotation since purchasing it. I don't like Queensryche much and haven't paid attention to him but he is better than most heavy metal lead singers I have heard. Acceptable sound quality to me, although not what DVD-Audio should be by any stretch.

Mineral "The Power of Failing" another album I had never heard offers about the same fidelity as most of the others but this early Emo band is good in my opinion.

Dennis Brown "Money in My Pocket" an anthology of sorts with 19 songs is ok, he is a very good reggae singer I hadn't heard much.

I do have Tipper "Surrounded" ordered. Beats me if Silverline will release any more titles but based on my experience, I might purchase a few more. Of course the disappointment most found with Silverline has meant we don't see much discussion of the individual titles, just general criticism of Silverline. Unfortunate that this company that went to the trouble of releasing so many titles did fall so short of the format's capabilities.

Chris

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Front Rows are the worst DVD-As ever released. LESS separation than the stereo CDs that previously were out. Avoid like the plague!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
"From The Front Row - Live" is Latin for "Don't buy this processed surround-sound mess."
There are a couple titles that are discrete surround, but the only one I kept (because of the *phenomenal* performance) was the Pat Benatar title. This one is faux surround, but her cover of The Beatles' "Helter Skelter" is fiery and worth the price of admission alone!

If you dug Tipper, you may also really like Cell 5: Correctional Facilities. While the Cell Series was short-lived and had few things to recommend, Cell #5 is a real hoot. Musically simplistic, but still one of my favorite whiz-bang demo discs and quite fun. It's in my list of fave discs .

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I have picked up a few more Silverline/Immergent/Myutopia DVD-A titles I like really well. Jimmy Witherspoon "THE BLUES, THE WHOLE BLUES AND NOTHING BUT THE BLUES" and the two Widespread Panic titles. All of them are very good.

Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the David Crosby one and though it may not be (okay it isn't) outstanding surround I like it anyway. It sounds better than the CD version and the show kicks ass.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have the Front Row Live DVD of Jerry Lee Lewis and it sounds quite good in my system. I feel like I'm in the crowd yet the soundstage is very open and pin point. I feel I can see Jerry sitting at the piano with individual images of each player in the band.

Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.