AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm currently building a setup in my basement. I'm eventually going for 5.1, but starting with the L,R and maybe Center. I will be listening to music probably 55% of the time with the rest being TV/Movies. I would like some decently big sound because this is to be my entertainment area. It has an exposed ceiling that's been painted matte black. Here is a picture (not mine) so you can get the idea.

I will be driving my system with a ~$500 AVR. I am trying to consider my options for front speakers, not actual models but type. I have included some pictures of my basement so you guys can see my TV setup. Its over a rock fire place. The trim above the rock is distressed wood, we have a rustic theme in the basement. As for the wires you see, they are exposed on purpose, it goes with the theme. They are not noticeable unless looking for them. I would rather not have to put floor speakers on the hearth, and the actual floor is not an option. I was thinking of possibly building some wooden boxes off of the rafters and painting black. That way I could put some bookshelf speakers on each side. I'm not sure if this would allow for the speakers to "breath". Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Here's a crazy idea that might work. Find some old rough looking boards that match the beam across the top. Bolt them into the beam at the top so that they hang down and run down alongside the TV. Get some Definitive Technology Mythos speakers, which are meant to be hung on the wall and mount the left/right down along the TV. Then mount the center above the TV aimed down Then just get a good sub :)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I bet the Mythos would sound really good. The PSB Imagine series is very good too, so the on walls would be worth listening to if you can find them in your area to demo.

For a sub, be sure to research SVS Audio, HSU Research, Rythmik, and Power Sound Audio. These are internet direct companies the offer much better value than traditional speaker company subs like Definitive Technology. You will find that is much of what most of us on the forum buy. Given that is such a big room a large ported sub would be best.

Reactions: dkscism

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you guys think about coming down off the rafters with a wooden "box" for book shelf speakers?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Not sure of your budget, but take a look at Totem. There are a few speakers that would fit your need. Excellent quality sound, given that music is a priority.

As to how to attach the speakers ... I would mimic the look of the TV "strap".

One issue I see is that the open ceiling will provide a lot of hard surfaces for the sound to bounce around. You may find that the sound is a bit muddy as a result. If that is the case, you may want to consider enclosing the ceiling or employing some sort of dampening, to reduce the reflections.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do plan to buy either sealed or front ported speakers. I appreciate all of the feedback thus far.

·
Registered
18,502 Posts
I do plan to buy either sealed or front ported speakers. I appreciate all of the feedback thus far.
For sealed speakers, I'd look at Power Sound Audio and NHT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts