AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of constructing a HT room in my basement. Two options I am considering for the front speakers are:

1. Build inwall speakers for FL, C, FR speakers. I was considering constructing a thin enclosure adjacent the concrete block wall OR placing the speakers on a baffle with the enclosure consisting of MDF and the back being just the concrete block wall. Pros/Cons...

2. Mounting premade Satellite speakers for FL, C, FR speakers that I have (Cambridge Soundworks) on a shelf with the back of the speakers close to the concrete block wall. I would then build the wall out to be flush with the front face of the speakers. Pros/Cons...

In both cases the final finished wall would be about 4 - 6" from the concrete block wall. I hope this is somewhat clear. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I post this some where else? Any comments?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend mentioned something about bookcases and such for the wall. My main concern is that the room will also serve as a game room for table tennis. (Preferably not at the same time as HT) :) Room is not that long...about 16 feet, and was afraid people would continually be bumping into speakers if mounted on shelves and such. (will have pulldown screen) I need to minimize the amount of space that I extent from the concrete block wall so that I have as large a room as possible.

Bottom line...I want something that will look good, sound good, and have the flexibility for a game room options.

I'm open to other suggestions...that is why I posted here! :)

TIA,

George

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
If you're going to put them flush in the wall (any wall) you need to buy speakers that are designed for in-wall installation. Putting regular encased speakers flush with a wall will cause all sorts of acoustic problems unless you treat the wall (Dennis can provide all the technical details on this).

So, if you do this, then, either make the wall they are flush with acoustically transparent or fully treat it with something like TS+. Also, you probably will need to treat the inner cavity created by the two layers of walls as well.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.