AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new place and have a weird living room. The only wall which to hang my plasma and have enough usable space in the room is a 40" wide wall. The condo was recently renovated, and it seems that a fireplace separating the kitchen and the living room was covered over by this wall. There are walkways to the kitchen on either side of this wall, so I can't use floor standing speakers without blocking the walkways.

Since the plasma is 40" wide and the wall is 40", I can't hang speakers next to the screen. I would hang speakers from the ceiling, but the ceiling is 10' tall, and anything hanging down in the middle of the walkways on either side of the wall would look strange.

My use of the speakers would be 70% HT and 30% music, so I want quality sound with a good soundstage and imaging. I don't think ceiling mount speakers would sound all too good. What can I do? I don't want to spend more than $600 for a pair.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I hate to ask an obvious question, but is there another wall? 40" does not give you much to work with. How about a diagram or description of the room?

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is another wall, but that is off limits. With the furniture that she has and the only way to configure it in the room using the larger room makes it very cramped and very odd looking. It is the first room you see whn you walk in the condo. I am stuck with the 40" wall.

·
Registered
68 Posts
With 40" to work with your left and right speakers will be too close to produce much of a soundstage. Another wall would be a good idea. Or, put the plasma on a stand and use free-standing speakers.

If you're hung up (pardon the pun) on putting the plasma on the wall, get small speakers and wall mount them below or above the display. I recently heard some M&K speakers that were very small (can't remember the exact dimensions but probably 4" wide and 6" high maybe 4" or 5" deep) that sounded pretty good, especially for $150 each. They pumped out good volume without much distortion. There's also a matching subwoofer (about a cubic foot) that goes with them. I'm seriously considering them for a bedroom system. Also, Monitor Audio has a real nice speaker, probably better than the M&K slightly bigger, that goes for $400 a pair.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Put the speakers on the opposite 40" wall with a mirror in-between them and sit real close. :)

Kal

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Seriously, I cannot vouch for their quality but this might be an ideal situation for one of those matrixed all-in-one speaker systems that can sit above or below the plasma. Niro was the first but there are others and there's an active thread about them on AVSforums.

Kal

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Seriously, I cannot vouch for their quality but this might be an ideal situation for one of those matrixed all-in-one speaker systems that can sit above or below the plasma. Niro was the first but there are others and there's an active thread about them on AVSforums.

Kal
I was just thinking the same thing. The most discussed units are from :

Yamaha: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=497766

Mirage: http://miragespeakers.com/unitheater.shtml

Boston: http://66.77.23.81/hs_product.asp?Pr...7&CategoryID=5

Each is an "all-in-one" unit that house L/C/R in a single cabinet. Subs and surrounds are separate (except for the Yamaha, which "phantoms" the surrounds). I've only heard demos, which were good but did not make me feel I was listening to 5 discrete speakers. Might be worth an audition...

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, both openings are necessary. I can't do anything with the walls. I am stuck with the 40" wall. No way around it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will look into those all in one systems. I went to Tweeter and listened to the Mirage Uni-theater. It sounded good for theater applications, but I wasn't really impressed for stereo listening.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.