AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my front speakers with new ones. Currently I don't have a subwoofer and so am thinking about new fronts (floorstanding) WITH integrated subwoofer ...

Why? Because I'm short on space and hate having a big black cube sitting out in sight. (My current fronts have separate bass units that I place between the viewing sofa and the wall immediatley behind it, which is great). Granted, if I could find a FLAT subwoofer that would fit where my bass units currently are, I'd be happy, but I haven't found one.

So, that's why I'm looking for fronts with integrated Subwoofer. (I prefer floorstanding partly because of their looks and because I think they have to be floorstanding in order to accomodate an integrated subwoofer).

So far, I have found:

- Polk RTi100 (35w subwoofer)

- Acoustic Research AR5 (175w subwoofer)

- Cambridge Soundworks Newton T300 (150w subwoofer AND comes in a mahogany finish that I really like)

I'd like to spend up to $1500 for the speakers ...

I'd also like them to handle music decently, even though they'd be used primarily for HT.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on the above speakers?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have you heard of Athena Technologies? They have a speaker system where you can mix and match the subwoofer and the monitors. Then they can be attached together creating a tower speaker! Stereophile reviewed it and recommended them! They said that it is very musical. Athena Technologies is manufactured by API, same as Energy, Sound Dynamics and Mirage. I have heard that their sound quality is very much like Sound Dynamics, which I own, and highly recommend. Very musical speakers. The Athenas are in your range of $1500 or less.

James

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a pair of Boston Acoustics VR975 for a really good price. Tweeter has them on sale for under $1000. Great HT performance and above average musically for the price. YMMV

Here are the spec's. Look under Products for VR975.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
mrad,

I have the Infinity Overture 3s that sound awesome. Send me a private message (Look for pm button just above this post). They are sleek good-looking speakers that go all the way down to 25 Hz.

-Jai

PERFORMANCE DATA

DRIVE UNITS

AMPLIFIER

(BUILT-IN POWER AMPLIFIER FOR

LOW-FREQUENCY SECTION)

DIMENSIONS

(also see Figure 7 on page 11)

SPECIFICATIONS – OVTR 3

Frequency Range: 25 ~ 20,000 Hz

Sensitivity: 94 dB @ 2.83 V and 1 m (anechoic conditions)

Impedance: 8 W nominal

Maximum Peak Output: 115 dB (spl on program)

Amplifier Requirements: Recommended for use with amplifiers

15 ~ 200 W (@ 8 W)

Low Frequency: Four 6 1 ⁄2" (165 mm) high-efficiency,

dynamically-balanced, magneticallyshielded

woofers

Mid Frequency: Two 5 1 ⁄4" (125 mm) high-efficiency,

magnetically-shielded, mid-range drivers

High Frequency: One 1" (25 mm) soft dome, high-efficiency,

neodymium magnet, magnetically-

shielded tweeter

Crossover Frequencies: 350 and 3,000 Hz

Peak Output: 500 VA

Power Supply: 120 V~60 Hz

Power Consumption: 500 W (maximum), 7 W (standby)

Width: 6 7⁄8" (175 mm); add 31⁄8" (79 mm) for foot bar

Height: 46" (1,168 mm)

Depth: 15 3⁄4" (400 mm)

Weight: 59 lb or 26.6 kg (each)

-Jai

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.