AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have floors speakers with 12 inch woofers with a max ouput of 120 watts rated at 8 Ohms. I thought the Yamaha RX-A830 would be powerful enough to produce deep bass on my speakers. However, I'm just disappointed as the bass was no better than my Onkyo TX-SR 313. Am I missing something here? Is this a configuration problem on the receiver? I'm using 12 gauge speaker wires for the speakers, am I using the wrong gauge? My friend has a similar setup and his speakers produce incredible bass to the point where you don't need a subwoofer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I increased the bass to the max on the tone settings, is there any other setting that I might have missed? Back in the 90s I had an old stereo hook up with the same speakers I have now, and man the bass was powerful and rich. I guess I won't be able to hear them like that again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have them set to large, and I just check the manual and the only thing that can set the bass up was the tone configuration which I already set it to the max. I do have a subwoofer, but I don't want to use it all the time. Do the speaker gauge have any affect on the bass sound?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Just because a speaker has a larger driver doesnt always mean it will produce room filling Bass! For example a buddy has a pair of older Sony towers with 10" woofers and a Denon avr with a rated 120w rms running to them, no bass is barely audible no matter how we arranged them. You can see the woofers excurting and get close enough and hear the bass! But, he has a large open family room around 18x19 vaulted that opens to a kitchen and a hallway!

I have a pair of older Infinity towers with dual 8" woofers gettting the same 120w rms rated to them from a denon avr, lol... Mine have very audible and Bass you can actually feel! But my room is smaller 14x15 vaulted ceilings, and opens to a kitchen and hallway!

My point is many things factor in, some speakers just arent capable of producing good Bass you can feel and hear! Might help repositioning them Closer/Farther from a wall possibly! Dont know if thatll will help, but just some food for thought!;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that some interesting and helpful info. I guess my friend's speaker are just better in producing bass on his speakers, but it does lack the clarity and rich sound mine have.

BTW kinda off topic, but is it recommended to use the YPAO that is supplied with the receiver?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I've never seen this suggested, but it would probably pay for you to do the "sub crawl" with one of your towers.
Put a tower in your main listening position. Play a bass heavy song through that speaker and move around the room. Are there places where you get great bass? Ideally, that's where the speaker would go. Obviously, you can't do that with a tower, but at least you'll know if it's your system or your room.
Also, if the bass is better when only one channel is playing, the speakers are out of phase. You wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm confused. You want more bass, but you don't want a subwoofer on all of the time? Why don't you set it up for how you like it and then if you have to turn the bass down for some reason, like people sleeping, then turn down the bass on the receiver or manually on the sub.

A different receiver isn't going to magically make the bass more pronounced. A more powerful receiver would make the speakers slightly louder, but not make the bass more prominent.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What towers do you have exactly Julio? This may help us help you possibly as well!

·
Registered
15,523 Posts
Might help repositioning them Closer/Farther from a wall possibly! Dont know if thatll will help, but just some food for thought!;)
First, what speakers do you have (that might help us help you). Second, I agree with this advice. I just bought new tower speakers, and the dealer arranged for someone from the company to come optimize their positioning in my room. Just moving them 2" further from the wall (1/2" at a time) made a HUGE difference in bass. First the bass got worse and then a lot better during this process. You should play around with their positioning, and aim for bass that is loud, long, and deep.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Have you move them atound your listening room, to see if repositioning them helps at all? If it doesnt,,it maybe time to upgrade....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't really move them though, so I have not much of an option. I really like the clear and crisp sound I'm getting though, so I shouldn't worry too much. the YPAO is recommended then? I'll try out and see if I like it.

·
Registered
15,523 Posts
I can't really move them though, so I have not much of an option. I really like the clear and crisp sound I'm getting though, so I shouldn't worry too much. the YPAO is recommended then? I'll try out and see if I like it.
The clear crisp sound is irrelevant. You can't move them an inch or two? I'm telling you from experience, that could make a very significant difference for bass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts