AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to begin construction of my front stage and speaker columns soon and my question is this: since the room in which I am building is already finished and carpeted, do I need to cut the carpet from the area where the stage and columns will sit or is there a way to just build these items on top? My biggest concern is with the stage and columns settling after construction as the weight pushes down on the carpet (berber, so not very cushy) and the pad.

Any others every gone through this? If so and if you cut the carpet, any items to be aware of? In particular, fraying or having the carpet pull up at the base?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If you can, cut away the carpet, you'll end up with a much more solid foundation to build on. If you really don't want to, you should be fine. Your carpet and pad will only compress so much. My only concern will be if the speaker columns are stand alone. If so, they will be very unstable sitting on the carpet. Can up build the deck out far enough so the speaker columns can sit on it as well?

If you do cut away, you can use carpet tape (like heavy duty double sided tape), or a carpet glue to adhere it to the concrete floor so it does not pull up.

Peace out~:D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ron - makes sense. As far as the speaker columns, I was actually planning on mounting them to the wall and ceiling. In essense, I am looking at building floor to ceiling shelves that are only ~24" wide, then covering the lower half with speaker cloth. The upper half will be used as a storage cabinet for my masking curtains in front of the screen. Across the top, I am planning on building a bridge between the two columns on which I can place the center channel. Underneath the bridge, I will have an overhang, behind which I plan on mounting the electric screen.

Given all of that, do you still think it is possible to do this without cutting the carpet (although, it does not sound as intimidating as I first thought based on your description)? My concern with not removing the carpet is that once I mount the units to the wall, even just a small bit of compression into the carpet and pad could potentially pull the unit away from the wall, making for an ugly installation.

Gracias!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just had my stage and riser carpeted today. Both lay on top of the carpet and pad that is on the floor. Main reason was so that the could be removed if/when I sell the house. Also, it also provides some padding for the stage and riser. I'll get a better idea later tonight when I fire up the "Belrock" scene from LOTR's and see what the subwoofer does to the room.

Just an update: Did my scene test and had no problem with the sub woofer with the stage and the riser in the room. Sounded good.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'd say cut it away - the carpet will be permanently pressed by the weight and fastners - you'd have to recarpet anyway.

Oh, and for the Tolkein fanboy in me, it's "Balrog"!

(BTW - when I fired up my new system on that scene- The Bridge of Khazad-Dum - it sounded great, but I was shaking the whole house!).

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.