AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might need to backup one step in my quest for the best setup I can afford. What are the benefits of rear vs front dlp in the $4500.00 range. I hope to watch Directv along with DVD's and High Def (in the future) on either unit. Thanks, dan

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
FP benefits: (1) The image size can be much bigger (talk about the WOW factor); (2) Inherently more "film-like" image (what you watch in a movie theater is, after all, a front-projected image); (3) Viewing angle is wider, especially vertically; (4) Better audio quality due to the lack of highly reflective and resonant big box right in the middle of the soundstage; (5) For the same reason, you gain 2-3 feet in the usable depth of the room space.

RPTV benefits: (1) Better ambient light resistance. You still want to dim the room, but the RPTV is definitely more tolerant for ambient light than the FP in general, partly because of the much smaller image size; (2) Do not have to separately install the screen and projector (duh...); (3) Can't think of anything else... :D

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
as sushi pointed out...if you can control the light in your viewing room (and won't mind watching just about everything in the dark) you can put together one heck of a front projection system for $4500 or less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.