Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! It seems that the market options today are:

36" Tube (non-HD) - $600 - last forever

51" RPTV (HD Ready) - $2000 (adding 3 yr service plan) - last 4-5 yrs then change out crt tubes ($1200)

40" LCD - HD Ready - $3000 (adding 3 year service plan) - last 10?

50" DLP - HD Ready - $4000 (adding 3 yr service plan) - last 10 ?

90"- 103" DLP Projector - $3500 + screen + cabling $ and it still is less impressive than a DLP RP in terms of sharpness/whites/contrasts.

Samsung announced a new DLP chip set + better color wheel that will resolve contrast and rainbow affect. Maybe

LCOS around the corner but sounds like vapor ware.

Seems to me that DLP with new chip set is the way to go w/o waiting another 2-3 years for prices to get reasonable or LCOS promise comes to fruition.

My objective - large picture / system that can evolve as HD evolves, offers superior (ala like an old tube) quality, and will last 8-10 years. Front projectors are very appealing but so far they don't stck up to RP DLP. Maybe I haven't seen the right thing

Comments, thoughts? Have I missed anything

Your insight is VERY Appreciated

·
Registered
16 Posts
Front projectors should only be used in darkened rooms. I've heard "at least too dark to read" light levels. That rules them out for those of us without a dedicated HT space.

BTW, I'm planning to buy soon & have been researching now for a couple of weeks. I'm ->this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.