Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay! It seems that the market options today are:

36" Tube (non-HD) - $600 - last forever

51" RPTV (HD Ready) - $2000 (adding 3 yr service plan) - last 4-5 yrs then change out crt tubes ($1200)

40" LCD - HD Ready - $3000 (adding 3 year service plan) - last 10?

50" DLP - HD Ready - $4000 (adding 3 yr service plan) - last 10 ?

90"- 103" DLP Projector - $3500 + screen + cabling $ and it still is less impressive than a DLP RP in terms of sharpness/whites/contrasts.

Samsung announced a new DLP chip set + better color wheel that will resolve contrast and rainbow affect. Maybe

LCOS around the corner but sounds like vapor ware.

Seems to me that DLP with new chip set is the way to go w/o waiting another 2-3 years for prices to get reasonable or LCOS promise comes to fruition.

My objective - large picture / system that can evolve as HD evolves, offers superior (ala like an old tube) quality, and will last 8-10 years. Front projectors are very appealing but so far they don't stck up to RP DLP. Maybe I haven't seen the right thing

Comments, thoughts? Have I missed anything

Your insight is VERY Appreciated

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you have a room in which you can control light, there is no substitute for a front projector. If you don't, a front projector is not an option.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Why not list a:

100" $2000 LCD FP 720P?

or a...

100" $1500 DLP FP HD Ready

You pick a mysterious $3500 DLP, which one? Seems like you want to make a point but only speak in half-truths. Putting in those numbers the FP has a market now doesn't it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your main use is watching TV on it then I would say no to a projector but if your just watching movies(1-4 dvd's a week) then it's perfect. The only downside to Projectors are the price of replacement bulbs.

·
Registered
814 Posts
"51" RPTV (HD Ready) - $2000 (adding 3 yr service plan) - last 4-5 yrs then change out crt tubes ($1200)"

umm, are you sure about this? i tought they lasted like 10 years, the tubes don't light up as hard as FP CRT's and i've seen users claming that they got 20,000 hours on their FP CRT's.. i can only wonder how much more a RP CRT can last...

DLP RPTV's are like 8,000 bulb life, then you replace bulb for about 300 bucks and it should look like new.

FP's are awsome because of the size (and price if you consider the new LCD's) but bulb life is an added expense that most people would rather not deal with, i mean, if you're one of those guys who can spend 300 bucks on a good TV that will last "forever" (programming will die on those by 2006) then FP is not for you.. each 2,000-3000 hours you gotta dish out up to 400 dlls just to keep it alive O_O.

FP also has an added expense if you want to make them look like they are meant to: a screen, wich can cost about the same as the PJ does, why? cause screen companies suck =P, they shouln't be that expensive.. but currently there's no way to get a "top of the line" screen for less than 1k, you could always get a cheaper screen, but at the cost of detail and color richness.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
DLP RP does look very good. However there is still no substitution for the big screen "WOW" experience a FP can provide. I don't disagree with your comments regarding PQ, but if you're committed to set up the right environment (decidated HT room, dark walls, light control, quality screen, etc) for a FP, you can get very good PQ out of it to go with the 100" picture.

Most users with lower end FPs ($900-$1500) are quite satistifed. So, I'd say for FP the budget is more flexible than a DLP RP.

I don't use FP for every day use, so bulb cost is less of an issue for me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Now now, No shouting! ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING!

JayW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me clear up some miscommunication on my end.

the $3500 for the FP assumes a Sanyo Z2 + cabling + screen + home theater switching unit. My wife and I when comparing FP vs RP DLP units see a whiter white w. RP DLP units. Yes the FP are bigger, and yes we can control and dedicate a room.

We will watch some TV since that would be cool and evolve into HD (probably via cable so not to spend another $500 for a HD Direct TV Unit) but are primary thing is watching MAYBE 1 - 2 dvds a week - max.

The tube replacements for RP CRT- we have heard this from every sales person. Maybe this is bull. Not sure. But it's either a consistent lie to move people to LCD / DLP at all stored (Sears, CC, BB, Tweeters, Big Screen Store)

Before I abandon the FP angle I'm just trying to see what I really have to spend to have a great picture regardless of size. Like I said the RP DLPs are sweet looking and TI will ship better chip sets in a few months.

SO, I need your insight and help and again I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
1 to 2 DVD's per week?

Z2 - $2000

cabling for a dvd player $30

screen - $200 DIY-$65 (I went DIY permanent with great masking 92")

Switching unit - Why?

I could do it for $2100 incl. tax! With $1400 I can buy nearly a sectional.

·
Registered
778 Posts
1-2 DVD's per week? Why bother spending any money on a big picture? *confused*

If I had time I'd watch 1-2 DVDs per DAY. I actually end up watching more SD TV than DVDs lately on my DLP FP. *shrug*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.