AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I need a quick answer. Do I need to put acoustical panels behind my screen or can I save some cash and stop them at the screen? I've tried searching but I can't find my answer. I remember seeing it posted somewhere 2 years ago when I started this obsession, but I can't remember. I am soooo close to finally finishing this. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Unless you have an acoustically transparent screen, I wouldn't put acoustical panels behind the screen. It seems to me that the screen itself will have a limited range over which it is reflective. I hypothesize that adding acoustic panels behind the screen will make the reflected audio portion higher relative to the audio portion that passes through the screen and gets absorbed in the panels. But I have no data to support this.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Knowing how your screen wall is built will allow others to help more. That being said, in most situations you want to treat the front wall as it will prevent reflections from your front speakers from interfering with the sound stage. The main wall is probably one of the most overlooked treatment areas in a theater. Most of us think of bass traps and first reflection points but don't go any further than that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I treated behind my non - acoustically transparent screen. I figured it was only a few bucks,,, so what does get through the screen is handled,,,, what's reflected by the screen would have been reflected anyway. The OC isn't hurting anything being behind your screen as long as you keep it from contacting the rear surface of the screen material.

Instead of making individual panels and then covering all that work up with the screen,,, I just attached the OC directly to the screen wall,,, then hung the screen over the top of the OC. (leaving a small open section in the OC coverage for the screen frame all the way around)

It's kinda like using my screen as one large accoustic panel. All the accoustic help (if there is any),,, with very little extra work.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/13017100

Unless you have an acoustically transparent screen, I wouldn't put acoustical panels behind the screen. It seems to me that the screen itself will have a limited range over which it is reflective. I hypothesize that adding acoustic panels behind the screen will make the reflected audio portion higher relative to the audio portion that passes through the screen and gets absorbed in the panels. But I have no data to support this.

More likely it would result in some portion of sound getting through the screen, then a large portion of that getting stuck between the wall & the screen... & bouncing back & forth for eternity!... or at least until Luke finds out Darth isn't really his father, but only James Earl Jones. (resonance chamber)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon /forum/post/13016586

Do I need to put acoustical panels behind my screen

Here's my take on that:

http://www.realtraps.com/art_front-wall.htm

Also, absorption flat on the front wall behind the screen can be useful as bass trapping, but it needs to be very thick. Like four inches or even more.

--Ethan

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
A screen with insulation behind it is a membrane trap - those do not require thick insulation to be a bass trap. You only need thick insulation on walls where the velocity is zero - need to get them deep where the velocity is not zero. A membrane converts pressure to velocity near the insulation so it is more effective. Now it is not as tight as a drum and won't sound a note when struck - but it is enough to capture some sound. Nor are the edges required to be sealed for something as large as a screen though that makes it more effective. It can be more effective than corner traps by virtue of sheer surface area - however you need to make sure it is not overdoing it at the frequencies it is effective at if you have trapping elsewhere in the room. Run some frequencies and see if you can feel the screen vibrating - those are the frequencies the trap will be effective at. You can also do before/after waterfall plots. There is little point in trying to design them acoustically - you should pick your screen based on visual considerations - but if adding something behind there helps rather than hurts - go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts