AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if this has been addressed...

Has anyone written a frontend for RTV-Tools?

I like using evtdump and rtvconvert to cut the commercials completely out of the file, but it's a time-consuming process that could be better served in a click-a-bunch-and-walk-away batch manner.

If there isn't one, anyone up to the challenge of writing one?

Thanks,

AmoebaMan

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll start with the OS2 version :D :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL... cause it's 2003 and I wanna point and click.

I've been using batch files for more than half of my life, and I just want a quick way to highlight the files I wanna convert and run it. Fire and forget. No typing.

I'd slap together a VB one myself, but I'm swamped right now. Figured someone on here would crank one out, given enough prodding/teasing.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AmoebaMan
I'd slap together a VB one myself, but I'm swamped right now.
Probably swamped by having to watch all those Oprah episodes you filled up your drive with :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ba-zing! Wow, I gotta fire my writers and hire you instead.

Nah, Orca is scary and should be stopped. She fills women's heads with crazy ideas that we then gotta deal with.

FlipFlop, you may be right, and I was just kidding, but I figured someone out there might have come up on the same problem and written a solution for it. I see your point though, so I'll abandon this thread.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
95 Posts
On Windows XP, here was my solution:

Create a test file via notepad that reads:

e:\ ools\\evtdump %1 > evt.txt

e:\ ools\

tvedit -t1 evt.txt

pause

In this case, I have the evtdump.exe and rtvedit.exe files stored in e:\ ools but you can change it to your actual directory for these files.

Save this file as something like "edit_it.bat". Then, from Windows Explorer, drag a shortcut for "edit_it.bat" to your desktop.

Now, whenever you want to edit a file, simply click on the filename (of the .evt file) in Windows Explorer, drag it over on top of the "edit_it.bat" icon on the desktop, and drop it. The batch file will execute on this file...

·
Registered
554 Posts
See attached for additional batch script example front-ends for the rtvtools utilities, rtvedit and rtvconvert. (plus an icon for the associated shortcuts)

Similar to SR94's method, I create shortcuts to the batch scripts; but instead of dropping the shortcuts on the Windows desktop, I add them to the "Send To" menu. This way, I just have to right-click on a file and "Send To" the necessary processing batch shortcut.

{editScript} ==Send To==> [rtveditShortcut]
(produces an RTV fileset as named within the edit script)

{mpeg} ==Send To==> [rtvconvertShortcut]
(produces an RTV fileset with the same name as the mpeg file, but with " (RTV)" inserted before the suffix)

The two problems I'm having are:

- Getting the scripts to deposit the output files in the same directory as the source files. Anybody have a clue if DOS offers an environment variable or other mechanism similar to Unix's 'dirname' command?

- Handling multiple files from one send. Any examples on how to loop through arguments in a DOS batch?

WARNING: It's worth noting that I've only run these scripts on Windows 2000 & XP (I believe), and am not sure how they'll function on 98.

rtvbatches.zip 2.203125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Where is that darn sendto folder, and what do I do, just drop those files in the sendto folder?

This link has a robust number of batch file examples. It is windows 98 based. Not sure if that is a bad thing or more commands have simply been added since.

http://www.ericphelps.com/batch/samples/samples.htm

I went to google and put in 'batch file' and many links relevant links did come up.

if you are above this information simply ignore it

cow

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:
This link has a robust number of batch file examples.
Thanks for the info, cow. (My request *was* somewhat lazy, looking for someone to spoonfeed me.)

Quote:
Where is that darn sendto folder, ...?
The "Send To" location depends on which variation of Windows you're running, and whether or not you've tweaked it. Here's a couple possibilities:

Windows\\Send To (98)

Documents and Settings\\\\Send To (2000/XP)

Quote:
...and what do I do, just drop those files in the sendto folder?
No, you'll need to:

(1) drop your batch files into some directory.

(2) edit the batch files to reflect the path to the rtvtools programs

(3) create a shortcut to each batch file

(4) customize each shortcut's "Start In" directory, setting it to the directory where you'd like your output files to go.

(5) copy or move the shortcuts to your "Send To" folder.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AmoebaMan
OK, so any of you VB/C++ gurus up for the challenge of making one?

-AmoebaMan
It shouldn't be hard, but my problem is time. I just don't have enough of it...

If I get some free time (and there is interest) I'll sit down and hack one out. It'll be Vb.Net, though, with all the extra baggage that carries (No niceties such as a single 300k executable!)

Would anyone still be interested?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by afalzone
I'd do something in VB6, but I can't seem to figure out the syntax behind any of the RTV Tools or what each one is used for.
Download it, open it and look in the docs folder.

I simply want you to know it's there.

cow

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phule
Would anyone still be interested?
You have a definite YES here. :)

While you are at it (if you don't mind ;)), you may want to contact ksb who is developing rtvPlayer in Vb.Net. After reading the .evt file, it displays some cool show segment bars to let you know what parts you want to watch. This would be a great addition to any editor. (See this thread )

Give 'em an inch... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.